macafee internet security suite
security centre 8 8.0.247
virus scan 12 12.0.177
personal firewall 9 9.0.136
siteadvisor 2.6 2.6.6253
anti-spam 9 9.0.217
privacyservice 10 10.0.267
databackup 1.2 1.2.103

macafee recently quarantined a trojan generic acf which i removed. it then removed a trojan generic downloader.bk a few days later , repairing the file.
a couple of days later the computer went ballistic with all kinds of things being disabled real time scanning, firewall, parental controls etc. a process i have never seen before was running 012572~1.exe so i shut this process down and unplugged from the internet.
macafee definately runs slightly different to before. the affid for virusscan firewall antispam and privacy service is 0 is this correct? i rebooted into safe mode and opened macafee and things were red and yellow saying things needed attention and my computer wasn't protected. when i clicked fix a message came up saying things coulndn't be fixed because of an error. when i rebooted normally windows said virus scan wasnt reporting as running but when i opened security centre it said i was fully protected with a green tick.
when i went further in things had been disabled and things changed from log and alert to log only etc in systemguards etc. things seem fine now but task manager shows only 53 or so processes running where as it used to be about 60 or so. macfee is running different to before and whilst it might be just down to the updates i cant help thinking somethings wrong somewhere.
this is a line from a hijack this scan i know you dont do that on here but it runs at start up and all this is tagged onto mcafee shrcl.exe
when i locate content ie5 and mouse over the folders it says files and the number of mb but then just has a lot of small squares where the information about the file should be. these files are never deleted with windows disk clean up when it cleans temporary internet files although when you view files prior to cleaning they are there what are they? are they anything to do with mcafee?

O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [DelayShred] "c:\program files\mcafee\mshr\ShrCL.EXE" /P7 /q C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\2XCJM1U5\HP-SHO~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\WDMBK9AF\FF2_2_~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\5GT53L5J\FF2_1_~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\2XCJM1U5\FF2_1_~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\C28HDZD4\BLANK_~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\R6N771J4\SITES_~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\5GT53L5J\SHP-SR~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\65W30W7E\TAB-PI~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\ZQQBBUH0\ASLEEP~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\85UVCPY3\ADVERT~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\GPOR4B8J\TAB-MI~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\UQ2DH58Q\TISCAL~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\C28HDZD4\IMG_11~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\mel\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\60KG8T7T\AD
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
6 Replies

RE: protection disabled

melboy

Nothing wrong here, those files will be deleted on the next reboot.
melboy
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 7

thanks for your reply

1: a search for 012572~1.exe comes up with nothing
2: open security centre click about and along with the version number ,build number etc
is affid. the affid(whatever it is) for security centre is 105-81. virus scan ,firewall,privacy service and anti spam all have 0(zero) as the affid. these were all the affected items that were diabled etc. what affid is i dont know.
3: it just seems strange that when i boot into safe mode all the things that seemingly went wrong are all disabled and in need of attention and are the same things that went wrong at the time i am refering to. when you click on fix protection items there is a message saying one or more items cannot be fixed because of an error. you cant fix them manually either.
4. running processes in task manager are now down to 38-40 and i dont know what the 15-20 processes that are now not running are, or why they are no longer there.
5: the content ie5 files and folders have been there for months and are never deleted
clicking on them brings a security warning about downloaded internet files. i deleted them and went to shred the recycle bin but nothing happened. i then deleted them manually and although a search for them cant find anything a hijack this scan still comes up with the same entry

#Click Start
# Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
# Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
# Click Delete Files, Delete cookies and Delete history
# Click Close below.
melboy
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

thanks for your reply

i did a kaspersky scan soon after, as i thought mcafee might have been corrupted and it came up clean . i also ran windows live one care and counterspy v2 and they found nothing out of the ordinary. my hijack this log was posted on dell's forum and i got no reply but i guess if there was anything wrong, i would have.. A recent mvt scan showed xml files missing. i downloaded the mcpr tool cleaned up the temp files etc and then re-installed mcafee from my account.
(it was originally on the pc from dell). amongst the processes being executed when mcafee was cleaning/downloading/installing were 015793~1.exe , 000a07a0.exe and 026515~1.exe and all seemed attributed to various points of install etc.
im starting to wonder if there was a major update of my products and the original process i stopped was part of the install,(the update symbol was showing in the taskbar), that might explain why files were missing. when i re-installed mcafee a lot of the items i had as alert and log were log only or disabled . could these be the default settings? Everything seems fine at the moment, i think maybe after the recent trojan attacks i became too paranoid and as a result stopped a perfectly good update. i've only had the pc 12 months and i guess i'm learning all the time and have to learn to trust things that are there to help me.
thanks for your input so far , it is appreciated.
melboy
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

i have further info on the problems i was having.

going into task manager at start up i periodically saw the afforementioned processes
012575~1.exe etc or one similar for a split second. a search for this executable never found anything , even in hidden files.

everytime i get an update , there is a mcafee installer put in the windows temp file. the numbers correspond to the ~1.exe processes i was seeing at start up.

today i had an anti-spam update and a while later a pop up saying i wasnt fully protected.
anti-spam had components missing and should be re-installed. clicking fix didnt do anything, it just said one or more items needed attention.

i rebooted, went into task manager straight away and 003566~1.exe was in the processes list for a split second.
i ran temp after clicking start> run>temp and in windows temp file was a m(mcafee) icon named ;
0035661207465813mcinst mcafee installer.

i accessed security centre and every thing was fine (green tick) no problems with anti spam!
so it would seem the processes are infact temporary update installers.

Most likely, thanks for letting us know.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community