Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete71
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

problem

I am in the same boat here - i had to use antimalwarebytes to remove the program that was not picked up by mcafee. Afterwards everything was slow and i used registry easy (which i paid for) and it gave me a heap of "problems" that i deleted - then i experienced more problems (continual reboot and random shutdowns) and i think the computer is even slower.
6 Replies

RE: problem

Hello

Split your post from the other thread.

used registry easy (which i paid for) and it gave me a heap of "problems" that i deleted - then i experienced more problems (continual reboot and random shutdowns) and i think the computer is even slower.

Do yo know what you deleted/removed from the registry.
pete71
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

No, to tell you the truth. I called the guys who told me which file to change the name of and they said i shouldn't have deleted things i knew nothing about. :confused:
Highlighted
melboy
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Although this is of little use to you now, for future reference its worth using the tools that are at your disposal to check out sites and their reviewers opinions:

Web of Trust

Site Advisor
(particulary the higher rated 9/9 experienced reveiwers (dean, lordpake, logicman et al)

HPHosts Classification: FSA (sites engaged in the selling or distribution of bogus or fraudulent applications)

On registry cleaners in general:

AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?

So true, never delete anything from the registry unless you know exactly what you are deleting. Without knowing what has been removed, we are really in the dark. The problems you are encountering now could be the cause of the registry cleaner you purchased.
pete71
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. For someone who doesn't know very much about computers, it is difficult because even on threads like this one you have people who are deliberately sending you down the wrong path. Some sites contradict other sites, it really is difficult to know who to listen to. Thanks anyway.
melboy
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

Whilst the website advisors are not totally infallible, using them regularly you will come to trust the opinions of user's names that you will come to recognize. There is also some crossover between the two (some reviewers post on both using the same user names).

Seek advice on a forum you trust (eg. your PC manufacturers help/support site),
Again, look for posters their with a high number of posts to their name. Should anyone deliberately try to mislead you, usually many more will put you on the right track.
As Ex_Brit, Paullotion, Grif, et al can confirm, a Moderator will never let a post offering harmful advice stand without either correcting/commenting on it, or even deleting it.

Remember , Google is your friend. There's a wealth of information out there. (not all of it bad wink )