cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

malware defender 2009

Hi everyone I am new here and I am a technical idiot.
I had a pop in while I was on the computer and the logo looked like McAfee telling me I have a virus and do I want to clean it up I said yes.
PS: to make a long story short I downloaded a fake called malware defender2009.
I even gave them a credit card number. (Bang my head)..anyway it disarmed my McAfee and I realized I better reload my McAfee and remove that program.
ONE PROBLEM they don't leave. I am stuck and I need help.
I am not a technical person AT ALL so I am very perplexed,
WHY DID NOT MCAFEE DETECT THEM COMING IN?
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP?
10 Replies
Highlighted

RE: malware defender 2009

Moved to your own post as it's more sensible to start your own thread always. Hope you managed to block the credit card.

The defifinitive removal instructions are here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic208905.html

Scroll down the page, DO NOT CLICK the first links you see, read the whole thing first before acting on what they advise you to do.
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 11

Good advice - I'm glad to see that that is basically what I did.

I have one thing to add: once I'd done the MalwareBytes scan, which found four infections (all registry) I repeated it using full scan, which found six more. Then I rebooted into safe mode and ran the full scan again - this found a rogue DLL.

Further scans in both normal and safe mode have revealed nothing; as a final test, I am running AdAware as well.

So my conclusion is that you need to run MalwareBytes scans several times in order to be sure
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 11

Ad-Aware has not kept up with the times and is not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

MalwareBytes and SpywareBlaster are good.

I read that SUPERAntiSpyware is good but I haven't needed it so far.
Highlighted

When I click on the link you offer Malware is blocking me and refuses to leave my comuter.
Highlighted

Run Malwarebytes again, in Safe Mode if you have to. Try going to that website in Safe Mode with Networking.
Highlighted

THANK YOU: :cool:
I think it is now GONE.

I did not sleep all night looking for help with that mess.
I think I will sleep tonight. 🙂
I will come back to cry if it is not gone...LOL
Highlighted

I now have a program called Hijack this....Do I need it or do I remove it?
Kindly advise.
Thank you
Highlighted

No. because the next time you go to use it it will most likely have been updated/changed etc. It isn't a tool to keep but just download when you need to post a log on a HJT forum for analysis.

Malwarebytes is an excellent programme as long as you keep it updated as is also the free version of SuperAntispyware. Links to those and some others here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913
Highlighted

YOU ARE AWESOME.
I will renew McAfee BECAUSE OF YOU...
thank you 🙂
Char

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community