cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i just entered a whole load of screen shots and text and while I was posting my mugshot I lost it all!

i just entered a whole load of screen shots and text and while I was posting my mugshot I lost it all!

What a bummer!  Took me forever to massage all that crap.

I had a bunch of content about a Keylogger Detector issue and now it disappeared

so if anybody finds it lemme know.

There was some status bar messages about auto-saves so I sure hope it was saved.

Unless I can find it I give up.

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: i just entered a whole load of screen shots and text and while I was posting my mugshot I lost it all -- WTF!

I cleaned up your language and moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

Screen shots can be added using the camera symbol on the bar above where you are typing.

Don't attach any malware samples though.

If you are experiencing malware then you have choices.  You could try going back to an earlier time by rebooting into Safe Mode and initiating System Restore

or you could try running some extra tools such as MalwareBytes Free see the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Re: i just entered a whole load of screen shots and text and while I was posting my mugshot I lost it all!

Your vanished post didn't make it, it hasn't appeared here - but Jive (the Board software) autosaves - or should autosave - your input at some fairly regular interval. Open another Edit window and look for the do-you-want-to-use-saved-content prompt.

Now, what was the Keylogger issue?

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Re: i just entered a whole load of screen shots and text and while I was posting my mugshot I lost it all!

I just noticed in your profile you mention an Enterprise product: TPS, so may have to move this again depending on exactly what McAfee software you are using.

Meanwhile Hayton has given great advice - the board often remembers what has been done, so try what he suggested, but please watch the language, the board Admin has strict terms of service.

Greetings Ambulance Crew:

First off what do you mean "Open up another Edit window" and where is this "Do-you-want-to-use-saved-content prompt"? I've looked for all this stuff and don't see anything corresponding but then again i am pretty ADD ADHD &  autistic spectrum cringe worthy.

I'm a newbie and expected this McAfee User site to be a little more bullet-proof than it was -- seems it's as questionable as the rest of McAfee -- you can tell i'm not a happy camper. 

This save feature and content I'm looking for better be wholly confined within this community.mcafee.com website cuz I know I don't have it --

So lemme see if I got all this right -- if I entered all this crap yesterday and lost it when i was dragging my photo, are you telling me that the saved content i'm looking and hope exists is a save feature built into this community.mcafee.com website right?  Because like I said I'm pretty sure I know I don't have it unless you're trying to tell me it save it all on my platform?

I remember seeing something to the effect that "Your content was last save at such & such PM/AM" if that helps.

Well that enough for me now cuz I can't say anything more w/o cursing and getting disgusting.

and it just gave me a red bannered error message that it couldn't save what I just wrote!

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Unfortunately Jive, the host, isn't functioning correctly. When you saw that red banner the chances are it had logged you out even though it appeared you were still logged in.

Believe me, we have complained bitterly but fixing it is a slow process and subject to budgets and suchlike.

We're just volunteers here as this place is primarily a user-to-user forum...

If you aren't getting any sign of  saved content when posting or editing, then all the stuff was lost.

What was the name of the key-logger and was it infecting your machine or is this about some other aspect?

That last link I posted has many tools linked in it that may help if it was an infection..

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Also please advise what McAfee software you are using, name and version if possible.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 14

(Replying to Ex_Brit) -

I think you're probably right about that red banner. I had forgotten about the Jive glitch that kicked some users off the system at random intervals, because it was meant to have been fixed. Not so it seems. It just did it to me straight after I logged on, and I too saw that red banner. As soon as I saw it I thought of this thread.

So ... Jive autosaves your content while you're logged in (see below). It ought to be recoverable if you accidentally leave or close the Edit window (which I've done before now), and indeed it usually is. But that's while you stay logged in. If Jive has a spasm, a glitch, call it what you want, and breaks the connection - what happens to the contents of the window, and to that autosaved content? It's not something you can really get the answer to by the usual testing methods, because the Jive glitch is just a random occurrence. But if the connection gets broken then you can't submit the post. And if Jive is faced with the sudden termination of a post while it's in the editing stage, it might just consign everything - including anything autosaved - to oblivion.

Autosave example :

Autosaved.PNG

consigned to oblivion ehh? ain't not enough room there mate, marriage and career already talking up too much space

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.