Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

htpatch.exe McAfee doesn't know which is the bad one, does anyone?

I am really upset as McAfee asked me today if I want to block this file.  After some search,  I found out that htpatch.exe is a system file but the same name is used as a virus as well.  I would've thought that McAfee could recognize a Virus...I am still in the 30 days trial.  I used before Avast which was really great but slowly it became slow in detection.  As far as I see McAfee is not very sharp either and that from the very beginning.

1) Where should I look for the bad one?  I have a startup black screen which is solved after I turned off the power and start in safe mode and reboot. How should I know which is the good one?   Free trial will be it.  with no help, there isn't any point to pay them.  and to pay for an email/chat/ way!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: htpatch.exe McAfee doesn't know which is the bad one, does anyone?

If it has both legitimate and non-legitimate associations then McAfee is doing the right thing by asking you if you want to allow it.

If it simply went ahead and blocked something that was legitimate you would have a malfunctioning machine on your hands in no time.

Get a second opinion on the matter as in an online scan here:

or here:

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/03/10 12:31:58 EST PM
0 Kudos