Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domxoc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

help Im stuck!

I have Vista Ultimate with service pack 1

I used to have AVG antivirus software but got attacked and the virus seemed to crash AVG or the computer or both until AVG stopped working. I switched to mcAfee last week but it went through a similar crashing problem, and I have had to download McAFee 5 or so times to keep it work. I have been able to run the McAfee virus scan a couple of times and it found nothing, then I come back to find that WIndows Defender and McAfee have both stopped working. I have then had to reload McAfee to get it to run.

I have run malwarbyte software and McAfee and they improved things having found a number of trojans but the problem to a lesser degree has persisted.

I have turned off system restore in case it is hiding in there..........any clues? because mcAfee still keeps being turned off but the computer is no longer crashing???

but if I try to run a mcafee virus scan the scan gives me an error message saying scan not started saying error scan failed to start 2147467259
Labels (1)
11 Replies
secured2k
Level 11
Message 2 of 12

RE: help Im stuck!

Please make sure AVG is completely uninstalled. If you ever had any Norton/Symantec products, make sure they are uninstalled as well. We generally suggest using the MCPR tool to remove McAfee completely and cleanly, then try a reinstall (which should update to the latest engine and DATs).

This problem could be caused by a virus but may also be an incompatibility with other software on your computer.

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
domxoc
Level 7
Message 3 of 12

yup tried it

I have removed and reloaded mcAfee but everytime i reload McAfee only 50% of the security centre stuff will load.....particularly no virus scan

now Vista registration is saying that it is no longer working too
secured2k
Level 11
Message 4 of 12

RE: yup tried it

You can try the following 3 tools that will help scan and clean your computer if you already have an infection.

QuickScan - Uses McAfee VirusScan engine and DATs to scan and clean items in memory and critical areas of your computer.
ESET Online Scanner - A full AntiVirus computer scan and clean that may detect some thing McAfee missed.
MalwareBytes - Detects and repairs problems that normally cannot be removed.

Please post any results and logs.
domxoc
Level 7
Message 5 of 12

thanks

Firstly thanks for your time and opinions

I have run all 3 of these during this period Malwarebyte found a number of things and removed them.

I have used the mcafee uninstall tool as suggested and reloaded McAfee (it took 5 attempts to reload it) as each time it would only load half the stuff

Now when i run the scan function it give me the message scanning has encountered a problem 2147467259. it has done it a lot of the times that I have installed McAfee.

Ive spent a week now unloading and loading different stuff.

This all started about the time I loaded Up internet explorer 8?

should I try dumping it and use google chrome for example.

How do u get rid of IE8 as it is not in the usual list of programs to remove?

I fear the worst and have tried and tried to fix this,

I very much appreciate your advice and help

You are infected

Use these tools and follow this doc...

here is a script to clean the temp files:

@ Echo off
REM Make this cleanall.bat
%systemroot%
cd /D C:\Documents and Settings
REM -Clean Temp Folder-
for /D %%a in (*.*) do DEL /F /Q "%%a\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
for /D %%a in (*.*) do FOR /D %%b IN ("%%a\Local Settings\Temp\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%b"

REM -Clean IE Cache-
for /D %%a in (*.*) do DEL /F /Q "%%a\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"
for /D %%a in (*.*) do FOR /D %%b IN ("%%a\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%b"

REM -Clean Dr Watson Logs-
for /D %%a in (*.*) do DEL /F /Q "%%a\drwtsn32.log"

REM -Clean Clean KB Logs-
DEL /Q /S /F %systemroot%\KB*.log

cd /D %windir%\softwaredistribution\Download\
REM -Clean SoftWareDistribution-
DEL /Q /S /F %windir%\softwaredistribution\Download\
domxoc
Level 7
Message 7 of 12

thanks

thank you so much

ok

i am going to have to profess my ignorance
how do I run the script and check the windows 32 .....hosts file?

RE: You are infected

I clean up a lot of PC's. Don't believe that Malwarebytes or Superantispyware will find everything. They won't. Once in a while I run into one that has a really evil rootkit that the above won't see. Google for GMER or KX-RAY. GMER and KX-RAY are a couple of free hard core rootkit detection/removal tools. If they find and remove something on your PC, then go back and run Malwarebytes again. You'll be amazed at the junk Malwarebytes can see and remove now that the rootkit is gone.

I had one last week with the mouse disabled, task manager disabled, safe mode booted in a loop, and it wouldn't let you execute any programs. It just begged for credit card numbers to "Fix Your Computer".
I had to boot off of a linux Avira Antivir Rescue CD and clean that way just to get it working enough to clean it with normal tools. Grrrrrrr

I'm stubborn. Never had a PC yet I couldn't clean. No format/reinstall for me. I'm a Masochist..:)

- Joe
domxoc
Level 7
Message 9 of 12

Joe

Ive run GMER and it suggestions that there is an infection...but when i run the scan the whole computer crashes and goes to blue screen. it has done the same with mcafee, and it successfully breaks both antivirus software!

i think that I do not have the skills to be never defeated by these things!
Highlighted

It would be helpful if you posted the log file results of the scanners I mentioned before.

Info
As some of the other posters have suggested, you may have a rootkit (something that modifies the system to hide and protect itself). We generally suggest using tools like RootRepeal or GMER to scan for hidden items. These tools MIGHT be able to remove the infection by running them in Safe Mode and choosing the option to force delete or WIPE the bad file(s).

There are also some manual removal tools that can be told to delete any bad file using similar technolgies as MalwareBytes (Kernel boot driver), but these require the knowledge of the bad file name(s).

As a previous poster also mentioned, he had to boot using another company's linux boot cd to manually remove an infection. This is usually the safest and guaranteed way to remove a rootkit because when you use a boot cd, no code from the computer that might be infected is loaded. This means the virus cannot protect itself and allows antivirus scanners to detect and remove what it finds. If the virus sample cannot be detected by an Antivirus because it is not yet known, you can manually remove the file(s) from the boot cd environment.

Suggested Actions
Please download RootRepeal but do not run it. Once you have extracted the file, please rename it to something generic like "file.exe" or "aaaa.exe". Restart the computer in Safe Mode. From Safe Mode, run RootRepeal and go to the Reports Tab at the bottom. Run the scan on each section and on each hard drive (check all options). When it is done, it should generate a report. Please post the log results here.

Download RootRepeal

You may also use the Boot CD I created to repair your computer. Most people that have used my CD have reported success. I have a post with all the information you need linked below.

Secured2k BootCD - Malware/Rootkit Removal

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community