cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

generic pup.a removal

Hi. Can anyone please help me. I am a bit of a technotard so i am unsure of what to do.

Today I downloaded Limewire from Mozilla Firefox. While using it, a Mcafee alert came up twice to say that a potentially unwanted program had been detected. One was repaired and then removed but the other one was unable to be removed. I did a scan and another one was detected and then removed. Is there a way to remove this last one. It is called a Generic PUP.a.

It does tell me in the window underneath the log viewer the file address and then it says C:Program~1\Mozill~\Firefox.EXE. Does that mean that Firefox was the reason for the PUP or Limewire? I removed Limewire immediately.

I am using Windows XP version 2002 service pack 2, File system NTFS and Mcafee security suite.

Any help would be appreciated.
7 Replies

RE: generic pup.a removal

technotard

Can you give the location of the file that cannot be removed, i doubt that its anything to worry about, as long as Limewire was downloaded from reputable source.

The file is C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Local Settings\Temp\fzaqfm2n.exe

Click start>run>type(or copy/paste command)> C:\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Local Settings\Temp\fzaqfm2n.exe

Delete the file, if it resists boot into safe mode and delete there.

Then run an online scan Here , save the log and post the results.

Me TOO!!!!

SAME THING !!!!
3 days ago down loaded Limewire newest version.. downloaded some songs and when
i went to open and play 1 of the 8 songs 2 McAfee PUP popups stated the same thing..

Found the 2 PUPs listed in the " Detection Logs " as " Cannot be Repaired "

I used the older version of Limewire program before with no problems.. could it be with the downloading of the certain song ?

Also, once the location has been typed into the " RUN" field How do you delete ?
The buttons say RUN Cancel Browse-
thx Mawk

hmm

Try this

Click on start
select RUN
Type %temp% and hit enter
delete all the files and folders you see in that
if any file resists boot into safe mode and try again.
mawk
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 8

removal

opened RUN typed in %TEMP% it opened a folder with 2 sub folders ( EMPTY ) and several icons of " data " when i tried to delete it said 2 files could not be deleted..
so i guess maybe " safe mode boot up...

however , once these get deleted ( hopefully) will it be removed from the actual recorded LOG from last weeks scan
also, when i currently scan- nothing shows up anyway!!!!

no

will it be removed from the actual recorded LOG from last weeks scan
also, when i currently scan- nothing shows up anyway!!!!

The scan logs will still be there but if a new scan is not bringing it up it could mean that it was cleared off by that %temp% command (manual delete if you did do that)or by windows cleanup utility that clears those TEMP location (which is temporary location used during installation and downloading of files for the currently logged in user).

So the step I suggested was to manually remove that as it is in the TEMP Location.(if it was on some other location it could have been tough)
if it has been removed by itself it must be the windows cleanup that runs once in a while or another update on McAfee which might have suggested that the file is harmless..
so its either of the two chances, but I feel the former is more of a chance than the later.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community