cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evedia
Level 7

generic!artemis detection

I'm unsure of the best place to post this so please move if necessary.

I understand the Artemis technology but it sounds as though this technology can produce false detections - please correct me if I'm wrong.

McAfee detected generic!artemis while patching a product my son has used for a long time (MapleStory). I understand that given the rules it uses, the Artemis technology flagged this as a potential problem.

Is there any way for me to determine if this is a legitimate detection? Thanks!

*Edit* After reading another post about games with items detected, it sounds like I can submit the file to McAfee for review, can you advise how to do this? Thanks again.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Evedia
Level 7

RE: generic!artemis detection

Thank you for the links. Now how can I find out how to send a file that is already quarantined? I can't find the file to send it. I asked webimmune and they sent me a form letter response. I understand how to submit it but not how to get the file to submit. Thanks.
0 Kudos

RE: generic!artemis detection

did McAfee quarantine the file? if so, you need to disable virus scan first.

How to disable VirusScan:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (top left)
VirusScan can be disabled in the right-hand pane and you can also tell it for how long to remain that way.

To restore or delete whatever McAfee has quarantined double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click restore (left)
It will be listed there and you can delete or restore quarantined files.

Send the file to Avert for analysis:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
or
Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

hope this helps...
0 Kudos