cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpforumdog
Level 8

files & folders not seen in My Docs, but can be seen on C drive

Jump to solution

Computer looks like it was wiped brand new, I can NOT see the folders and files in my docs/my pics, BUT  I can see the files on the C drive, so I have not lost them.

I turned on my computer this morning and was terrified when I didn't see my normal desktop. The background color was different. The program icons are on the desktop but some icons were missing (like Windows Mail!!) I went to My Documents and My Pictures and both these folders looked like they did when I first got the computer. For example I can now see Sample Pictures and I had long ago deleted Sample Pictures.

Initially it appeared that my computer had been wiped clean, but my files can be found on the C: Drive

My files and folders are still on my computer because:

I go to the > C Drive >Users> Doc and all my folders and files are there.

I go to the > C Drive >Users> Pic and all my folders and files are there. Thank the Lord!

I have already gone to Folder Options and ensure that "show files and folders" was checked. So they are NOT hidden

Maybe if I could figure out what caused it, I could fix it!

I had heard that a virus could cause this. I checked my Mcaffee and it said all was well.   I ran spybot and it found a few minor things, but none fixed this problem.

My husband said that when he last used the computer it was doing what thought was a Windows Update He didnt turn it off. But it was off this morning when I turned it n. . I now wonder if it was a fake windows update.

What can I do to get my old desktop back? How do I make the files appear under My documents.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Granny DP

DPForumDog

Windows 7 Home Premium

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dpforumdog
Level 8

Re: files & folders not seen in My Docs, but can be seen on C drive

Jump to solution

Somewhere ( I don't remember where) I found Desktop restore, which gave me options to restore to several dates including yesterday.   No one was on this computer yesterday.  So I chose Friday which was the last day worked.     Nothing happened.  So I backed up via c:/users/<username>/documents  and then I restarted and when the computer came back on the desktop looks like it did Friday.   It seems to be "fixed"

I am not sure if the fix was from Desktop Restore or just re-booting.

Thanks to everyone.

Granny DP

DPForumDog

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

are you SURE your files are in c:/users/Doc ?

they should be in c:/users/<username>/documents etc.

The most obvious answer is you're logging in as a different user..

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as it appears you have some sort of malware.

If you are a corporate user I will move it again if you wish.

Try System Restore and if you can't access it in regular mode try Safe Mode and then go back to before this started.

If successful temporarily disable System Restore to wipe out this bad restore point.

There are some suggestions and extra tools in the last link in my signature below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

System restore is a bit aggressive for someone who might just be logged into the wrong user profile?

0 Kudos
dpforumdog
Level 8

Jump to solution

Safe Boot,
I was not logging in under the wrong user profile.  If that had been the case I would have not seen the desktop icons that are unique to that user.     Nor would I have found the "missing" files and folders in

c:/users/<username>/documents etc.

However you were correct that I should have typed c:/users/<username>/documents etc.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

SafeBoot wrote:

System restore is a bit aggressive for someone who might just be logged into the wrong user profile?

Turns out they weren't but managed to restore things using some software or other.  Sorry Safeboot but most of the access and tools we Mods had prior to the move to this new version of Jive have been taken away from us with little or no prospect of their return and therefore it's proving difficult to help people properly.

0 Kudos
dpforumdog
Level 8

Jump to solution

Somewhere ( I don't remember where) I found Desktop restore, which gave me options to restore to several dates including yesterday.   No one was on this computer yesterday.  So I chose Friday which was the last day worked.     Nothing happened.  So I backed up via c:/users/<username>/documents  and then I restarted and when the computer came back on the desktop looks like it did Friday.   It seems to be "fixed"

Thanks to everyone.

Granny DP

DPForumDog

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

dpforumdog wrote:

Thanks to everyone.

Granny DP

DPForumDog

Glad you are OK.  ;-)

0 Kudos