cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

disabled security and KillThisServiceT

Hope this is the right forum to post this post...

Hi,
Okay, I have the following programs that I use regularly: McAfee virus scanner + firewall, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware. Talking about Malwarebytes here: I updated the program last night and a new item came up and that's when I decided to come back here and ask about this item. I've already done the virus scanner, Spybot, and Ad-Aware and all those came out clear with nothing wrong. Malware lists 1issue that I'm completely unsure about. Can I just quarantine the KillThisService item?

Thanks for any/all help. I appreciate it! smile.gif

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2421
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

7/24/2009 5:17:26 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-24 (17-17-18).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 142104
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceT (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I'm not sure what to make out of the KillThisService thing. For all I know it might be bundled in with another protection program and it might be a good thing? I'm totally not sure.

I've also got a mini question about Ad-Aware. Lately I've been really dissatisfied with it. Do I really need Ad-Aware on the computer if I have all the other programs I listed (McAfee virus scanner/firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes). Just wondering...

Edit: Somebody has helped me with two of the 4 items listed so I'm gonna edit and delete parts of this post...

Edit: I scanned the computer after I ignored the two disabled items and it looks like that also took care of the updatesdisablenotify item as well because it's not longer showing up on the scan. I'm gonna edit my post again and take out the info I don't need help with anymore.
Labels (1)
4 Replies
Jubo
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

RE: disabled security and KillThisServiceT

So.... to make a long story short... Is there still an issue? If so, then what exactly is the issue. As you posted your computer is still on XP SP2, while SP3 has been released a long time ago. You might also want to check for updates/patches at Microsoft Updates.
Remember... to many security software installed might cause some conflicts too. With McAfee software I would disable the tea-times feature in Spybot's.

Yes, I'm still having the issue with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceT (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

And thank you for the tip about T-T. I'll look into that.

thanks for the reply btw!

I think I got rid of that item I was wondering about so I reckon you can go ahead and close this topic up if ya want.
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Glad you are OK and good luck.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community