cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

command screens after startup - malware?

For some time now, my laptop has been getting slower, and it's getting worse. Recently, I've noticed that after restarting my computer (Win10), a minute or two after the desktop comes up two command screens pop up, issue commands, and go away. This happens too fast for me to scrutinize the command, but it's a single command-line entry with lots of parameters. McAfee scans don't find any problems (nor does Malwarebytes). Where can I look to see if this is malware, or to otherwise diagnose what's happening?

2 Replies
McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: command screens after startup - malware?

Hi plantrob,

To  help identify what these instances of CMD might be doing, you can utilize the free Sysinternals Process Monitor tool (external link) with the Boot Logging feature to capture a trace of process execution upon booting. 

Here is a good article (external link) on how to use this feature.

Hope this helps!

Re: command screens after startup - malware?

Thanks! I think (hope) I was able to resolve the problem by removing entries in the startup folder as well as the task scheduler, but if the bugger returns I'll be sure to give this a try.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community