cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chkdsk again

Hello,

I am still having trouble doing chkdsk. I have attempted it through windows and through command prompt. I have attempted several times to restart in safe mode and have been unsuccessful.

Oh yeah, Malwarebites has found a couple more viruses and I am unsure that it was successful at removing them. I get a debug error everytime I have attempted it. I was also unable to access my McAfee and any help options until I restarted a couple times.

I am not able to use command prompt as an admin it wants a password and I have never set it up with one.
Labels (1)
8 Replies

RE: chkdsk again

sad I am also having problems with my toolbars. Is this one specific virus or just an indication that I need assistance?

If running the Command Prompt asks you for a password, it means you are not admin. You will need to log on using an account that has Administrative rights in order to perform some of those actions.

O.K. Did I say this is my home computer? Whom would be the administrator I should contact? Gateway?

Eset online scan was clean this time. I still get the windows chkdsk error on startup and my toolbars are gone.

I think we are having a miscommunication. In computers, details are very important. I still don't think I have a clear idea of what the problem is.

Since you mentioned a scan coming back clean this time, it sounds like you previously had an infection that was removed. Please include the logs from any scans you did and any error messages (exactly as shown) you receive. Also, be sure to describe the steps or actions you take IN DETAIL that causes the error or what doesn't work.

O.K. Maybe there is some information in here that will help? My scans are good now. But I still get the windows chkdsk error on startup and my toolbars are blacked out off and on.

I really don't know where to start as there are many different things going on. Some seeming to go away and then reappearing later. I got an error message this am that Mcafee scan was disabled so I rescanned my computer and it found 2 more viruses

d:\system volume information\_restore{593f298f-b7d6-4a3d-a260-6d7e68e3f587}\RP226\A0089848.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
d:\system volume information\_restore{593f298f-b7d6-4a3d-a260-6d7e68e3f587}\RP226\A0089849.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

It says that its deleted yet when I restarted I got a debuging error message several times and lost the ability to open Mcafee or use any help tools of any sort. After several restarts I got back the ability to open Mcafee and I could access my help tools after several attempts. I don't believe this issue is resolved.

This is the log from 06.05
c:\program files\windows live\messenger\riched20.dll (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\system volume information\_restore{593f298f-b7d6-4a3d-a260-6d7e68e3f587}\RP224\A0085846.DLL (Adware.FunWeb) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
d:\i386\Apps\App20460\imgvemver1.6.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
d:\i386\Apps\App31126\add-gateway.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I will be happy to post the intitial log but it is huge and figured there is a lot of information here already. If you need more I will post it.

06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
lcrleus
Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2009

chkdsk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been recieving an error message need to start chkdsk utility. How do I do this?

lcrleus
View Public Profile
Find all posts by lcrleus
Add lcrleus to Your Contacts

#2 06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Ex_Brit
McAfee Maniac Join Date: May 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It depends on your operating system.

In XP you can simply go to Start/Run and type in the following chkdsk /r (with the space) and hit Enter. (The /r option will repair any problems, hopefully).

If you have multiple drives (partitions) you can specify which one as in chkdsk C: /r (with the spaces).

It will throw up an error that the volume is in use try at next reboot Y/N? Hit Y and the Enter key. Reboot and it should hopefully start. It takes quite a while sometimes, depending on the size of the drive.

In Vista/Win 7 go to Start/All Programs/Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator".

In that window proceed as with XP typing in the same commands.

Chkdsk checks the hard drive for read/write errors and corrupted data.

Volunteer Moderator ● Home Products

Security Center 9.3/VirusScan USB/SiteAdvisor Plus
XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Windows 7 RC (x86)
FAQ & Search (click)....
Customer Service FAQ/Search
Forum Search
Google Search
SiteAdvisor FAQ
Technical Support FAQ/Search
Support (click)....
Customer Service Online Chat
Home Products Removal Tool (MCPR)
McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT)
SiteAdvisor User Feedback Form
Technical Support Online Chat

Last edited by Ex_Brit; 06-04-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Ex_Brit
View Public Profile
Visit Ex_Brit's homepage!
Find all posts by Ex_Brit
Add Ex_Brit to Your Contacts

#3 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
lcrleus

I have Windows XP. I attempted your suggestion, in the restart could see where it had checked one disk successfully but failed on 2 other attempts. I am not certain which are failing as the message is gone too fast but I did catch ntfs and fab on the failed mssgs. I have seen this before in my previous attempt to run this utility.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate any help I can get.

lcrleus
View Public Profile

#4 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Ex_Brit

XP SP3 I hope. Try running it in the Command Prompt window as with Vista then which at least will stay up on the screen.

Was this message after a reboot or what?

FAQ & Search (click)....
Forum Search
Google Search
SiteAdvisor FAQ
Support (click)....

Ex_Brit
View Public Profile

#5 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
lcrleus

Does SP3 stand for service pack 3? If so then yes.

I attempted to run it with in the c prompt window and it had the same result. But the good news is I ran Malwarebytes Anti malware and it said the computer is clean now. Should I believe it?

Thanks!

lcrleus
View Public Profile

#6 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Ex_Brit

Malwarebytes is pretty reliable and a good tool for cleaning out malware.

So now you are OK?

FAQ & Search (click)....
Forum Search
Google Search
SiteAdvisor FAQ
Support (click)....

Ex_Brit
View Public Profile

#7 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
lcrleus

It seems to be.

Thanks!

lcrleus
View Public Profile

#8 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Ex_Brit

Glad it's OK now.

FAQ & Search (click)....
Forum Search
Google Search
SiteAdvisor FAQ
Support (click)....

I didn't know what else to do since it

Are you on the problem computer now?

Yes it is

I would like to see the errors via a remote session. If you are willing to do this, please go to the following URL and follow the given instructions.

https://www.fastsupport.com/846713263

This support key will expire within 1 hour of this post.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community