cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remschmidt
Level 7

buffer overflow in windows media player

The last couple of weeks I have been trying to view an avi file. When I double click the file McAfee blocks it.
The pop up says McAfee has automatically blocked a buffer overflow.
FileC/ Program files/Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe.
Windows Media Player does not even load.

I have Windows xp
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
504 mb ram
McAfee Security Center
Version 9.3
Canada

I hope this is enough info, because I'm not very good with the computer.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
BalaSGS
Level 7

RE: buffer overflow in windows media player

Hi,
Sorry for the inconvenience, are you still having the issue with McAfee product..
0 Kudos
remschmidt
Level 7

I still have the problem.
I have done online searches ,but with out success.
I don't know what else to try.
0 Kudos
BalaSGS
Level 7

Hi,
Can you run the MVT and post the Session ID {http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp} here let me review and we will update you…
0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

In addition to that we would like to see the Windows Updates on the machine so could you please do the following ?

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.

Now copy the entire content and then paste that in a website such as www.pastebay.com and post the reference link here so that we can actually get those logs and see if there are update failure on the operating system that caused critical patches to fail and cause buffer overruns on the WMP or its add-ons etc....
0 Kudos
secured2k
Level 11

Based on your description, your buffer overflow detection generally means some bad code in the codec used to play the avi file or a third party plugin. Please make sure your Windows Media Player and codecs used to play the avi file back are up-to-date.
0 Kudos
remschmidt
Level 7

buffer overflow in wmp

Dear Bala
I ran mvt, the session ID number is 19082615. It said that there were two problems, I clicked fix. It said that it had fixed the problems. So I ran mvt again, it said that it found two problems, they were the same problems, session ID 19802678. I tried to open windows media player and was blocked again by mcafee. I tried posting my sessions but after I typed in the address it said it could not find any results.
Thank you
remschmidt
0 Kudos
remschmidt
Level 7

Hi vin_r2
I tried to run the %windir%windowsupdate.log
It came back that Windows cannot find.
It told me to do a search.
I tried a couple of searches, but nothing came up.
I have auto update on.
What else can I try to get a list of my updates.
Just to make sure, I went to add and remove programs and it listed my updates, how can I copy this list.
Thank you remschmidt
0 Kudos
howrubin
Level 7

Re: RE: buffer overflow in windows media player

Hi.  I am having the same problem.  I tryto launch Windows Media Player 11 and I get a message that the buffer overflow blocked.  How do I fix this probelm?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
secured2k
Level 11

Re: RE: buffer overflow in windows media player

In normal operation, Windows Media Player will not trigger the Buffer Overflow Protection. This is usually causes by a third party add-in module or codec (used to decode and play back video and audio content). You either would need to uninstall the plugin that is interfacing with WMP, update it to a version that does not have the problem, or disable Buffer Overflow Protection.

0 Kudos