cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsh100
Level 7

Xp antivirus pro 2010 frustration.

Hello,

I had just renewed my subscription to Mcafee last month because i'm paranoid about getting viruses and whatnot, when I somehow got this "xp antivirus pro 2010" virus. Mcafee doesn't recognize it and I thought that the whole point of buying the software was to not get viruses. I'm very leery about downloading any other program but I really need help getting rid of this annoying virus. Please help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
x-imikhlin
Level 9

Re: Xp antivirus pro 2010 frustration.

Please run FakeAlert Stinger, downoladed from here:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fakealertstinger.exe

Here is an explanation about Stinger and installation instructions: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100893

Anti-virus software alone is not enough to keep a machine secure in today's world -  it is an unfortunate fact that no Anti-Virus vendor is able to promise 100% detection rates so there will be times when you get hit by something bad. New malware is created and published all the time, therefore keeping your AV software up to date should been seen as just a part of your security defences. McAfee recieves over 50000 potential malware samples on a daily basis, and this number will continue to rapidly climb. As quick as we're writing protection and designing new technologies to fight the wave of malware, the bad guys are working hard to find new ways to beat the system.

For more information please see: How did I get infected when I have McAfee software installed? (TS100771) and 13 Ways to Protect Your System. There are also many articles available in McAfee Security Advice Center which are well worth a read.

Hope that helps,

Irene

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100815&lang=en_US&prior_tid=35&AnswerID=16777230&tur...

0 Kudos
jkarkut
Level 7

Irene,

This eveing, my PC was infected with the Antivirus Pro 2010 virus.  While the McAfee flashed a trojan notice and said it was cleaned, the program STILL loaded.  My PC is blocked from the internet and has that program running in the system tray.  I cannnot find where it is!  What's most troubling is that McAfee AV scan saw it...and STILL let it through.  HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN????

I just downloaded the FakeAlertStinger program to another PC and copied over to the infected PC.  Ran the program..but, it has yet to find it.  In looking at the possible registry names listed on the internet, I can seem to locate any of them in the registry.  What now???

0 Kudos
jkarkut
Level 7

Just a follow-up here...  I ran System Restore and reloaded the last restore point.  Had to then resinstall Mcafee AV Pro.  All seems to be working.  However, I KNOW the programs are still somewhere on my hard drive.  Any advice, assistance, instructions on how to find the files would still be greatly appreciated.  Either I or your McAfee programs still need to locate the files and delete them.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
gsh100
Level 7

Okay, I downloaded Stinger and ran the whole process for that, and although it did stop the fakealert popups, it didn't actually remove the trojans which still show up when I perform a scan. It seemed to only cover the surface problem. Now it shows up as XP Guardian and the fakealert popups have began again. Why can't I get rid of these things! I don't even know how they are getting on my system! I am beyond frustrated and I really need help now.

0 Kudos
jkarkut
Level 7

GSH100...Did you scan reveal the path of the files?  My scan didn't turn that up.

0 Kudos
golfsferr
Level 7

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpsecurity/thread/9e8c5f15-9b30-4e77-a441-0a584bfb5...

Everyone, the information on the above link did the trick for me. Follow the instruction very closely from a member named ( mareechan ) on that page and it probably would be a good idea to disable System Restore also.

I tried many different things including a Malware remover that I can't recall the exact name at the moment, Spyware Doctor, I tried Safe Mode scans and normal mode scans, and a few other registry changes and not until I did the above did I get rid of it and it is NASTY! Good luck. Steve

0 Kudos
golfsferr
Level 7

Please look at post number 6 for a solution. Good luck. Steve

0 Kudos