cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Xp Antimalware 2010

Jump to solution

This is what the virus which has infected my computer calls itself. link removed by MOD. Has anybody else run into it?

( No, please don't bother with "Spyware Doctor". I tried it, and it doesn't help!!!  ) 😞

Message was edited by: paullotion on 19/03/10 11:29:43 GMT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Xp Antimalware 2010

Jump to solution

Hello,

I removed that link in your post, do not post link to sites that tell users to download a programme to remove a rogue programme, only to be told they need to purchase the full version to remove, that site is an affilate of one of those paid programs.

Follow instructions in this post, ignore the ads at the top.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello,

I removed that link in your post, do not post link to sites that tell users to download a programme to remove a rogue programme, only to be told they need to purchase the full version to remove, that site is an affilate of one of those paid programs.

Follow instructions in this post, ignore the ads at the top.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks to paullotion for his excellent advice! I followed his instructions, downloaded and ran STOPzilla, which promptly detected and flagged not only the "Xp AntiMalware 2010" virus, but other infections which had so far eluded McAffee. After subscribing to STOPzilla, there are no longer any signs of any infections!

I'm assuming that McAfee is working out a fix for this problem.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Was also infected with XP Antimalware 2010 on Wed 03/31/10.

Had the latest McAfee Update installed which found and quarantined AVE.EXE & a couple of other files.

While my Desktop Internet Shortcut was restored to proper functioning, McAfee did not correct the corrupted Registry Entries for EXE files which were set to run AVE.EXE.

I downloaded a free zipped Reg file from www.DougKnox.com which restored EXE file settings to proper defaults.

However, the Internet Explorer Icon from the Start Menu now does not work - you get a File Association prompt - looks like something still needs to be fixed.

Hope someone from McAfee is listening...

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Let's hope so...

Highlighted

Jump to solution

As the original poster problem has been solved, this thread is closed- anyone else with a similar problem, please start your own thread.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community