cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjainslie
Level 7

XP Antispyware Malware

XP Antispyware 2011 recently took over my McAfee-protected Toshiba laptop.  Have others had this problem? Should McAfee have protected me?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: XP Antispyware Malware

Unfortunately these fake anti-malware pests fool most regular antivirus applications.

McAfee has a tool called GetSusp which is having success against many of these entities.  You can obtain it by joining this group and asking for it:

GetSusp

Membership is not required.  You can also find support for it in that group and provide feedback.  The actual download is available HERE.

There is also an excellent removal guide on the web: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Please scroll down and read the whole thing though as the first links you see are merely advertising.

0 Kudos
lynchfamily
Level 7

Thank you very much Peter for solving the problem!!!!   Thank you to the poster as well. This hit my pc a week ago and I was not pleased when McAfee did not identify it nor clean it.  The manual instructions looked difficult and so far it appears that the download and scan worked!  It said it was out of date, but it detected and cleaned it.  I am do to renew my subscription for 4 computers and am concerned why this fix would not be included in a normal update?  I am grateful you're here to help us.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You're welcome.

0 Kudos
pjainslie
Level 7

Thanks Peter.  Most of the problem was in the registry (I think) so I'm OK again. The link was very helpful.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That's great.  Glad to help. ;-)

0 Kudos