cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashley121295
Level 9

Why won't my antivirus plus complete a full scan?

Jump to solution

My acer windows 7 laptop cuts off every time my antivirus plus is almost finished with a full scan? It's been doing this for months.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashley121295
Level 9

Re: Why won't my antivirus plus complete a full scan?

Jump to solution

I ran the MVT tool and it fixed what was wrong with my macafee but my computer is crashing a lot more frequently now. I still can;t get Norton Security scan off

0 Kudos
59 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I moved this to VirusScan as a better spot for it.

Is your 7 totally updated, i.e. SP1 and IE11 (whether or not you use it)?

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any issues:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If it doesn't then Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It just occurred to me that you may have meant that the laptop shuts down before the scan is finished, is that what you meant?

If that's the case I wonder if it's overheating.

Open SecurityCenter and then Virus and Spyware Protection, then Real-Time Scanning > Settings

Alter the setting as shown in the picture below (click to enlarge) and then click Apply.  See if that helps.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
ashley121295
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes i meant shutting off. I even have tried to run it in safe mode. I have an acer windows seven premium laptop. I am now trying your suggesting. However, it doesn't shut off as if it over heated. I have noticed that when some laptops over heat that completely shut off and then you can turn them back on. Well right before mine shuts off, I get a blue screen with white words saying that an unexpected shut down occurred to protect my computer. And if it's the first time I've seen it, to restart my computer. Well right below it, it has suggestions for if it isn't the first time. However, my computer quickly shuts off before I can read the bottom portion. Could it be a virus? When I run my McAfee, it says there's 2 potentially unwanted programs that it finds right before my whole computer shuts off so it doesn't get to fix it. But when I run it in quick scan, I don't find any viruses or potentially unwanted programs.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Your computer is not shutting down, it's crashing.

Follow these instructions to turn off automatic reboot, so you can give us the full crash description.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

If It's getting 50% through the scan it's unlikely this is a problem with the McAfee software - though you are right, you might have some nasty malware which is crashing your machine when McAfee starts scanning for it.

You can run Stinger to do a deeper scan of your system - there's a chance malware will identify it in the same way though.

Stinger | McAfee Free Tools

0 Kudos
ashley121295
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ok. I'm doing a full scan now to see what the error message says on the blue page. It takes about 2 hours to do the full scan.

0 Kudos
ashley121295
Level 9

Jump to solution

IMG_0606.jpg This is the message i get every time I turn my laptop on. The blue screen basically says that I need to un-install hardware in safe mode. Ill upload a picture when i get the blue screen again. I haven't installed anything on my laptop. It does the usual updates before it shuts down.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Please read the following article Taskeng.exe and rockettab problem - Microsoft Community

and Malware scan of Client.exe a31724a2b962831d46aadd8c757d14a4f1aad451 - herdProtect

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
ashley121295
Level 9

Jump to solution

I just used stinger. This is what popped up. IMG_0607.jpg

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Could you check in your Control Panel/Programs and Features and see if you have "Rocket Tab" installed?

In addition, could you please try running AdwCleaner, followed up by Malwarebytes (Free) to keep it Free..DO NOT accept any Free Trial Offers or Activate during the Download/Installation process.

You can obtain these (Free) Superb Tools as well as other McAfee (Free) Tools from here:

I might add that these particular tools are designed to detect particular (Pups) ( Adware) that major Anti-Virus companies yet have in their detection base.

They are a (Compliment to your protection, (Not) a replacement.

You may be required to do a restart after running each program to entirely remove any (Possible) detections.

Please allow Windows to fully load after each restart.

Please post back your results...

All the very best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos