cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmurphy
Level 9

Where are my Quarantined files? Artemis!E934FE5BC220 Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6 Artemis!240973407204

Jump to solution

I did a virus scan and Mcafee found 5 files suspected of being Trojans (Artemis! files). The report said they were quarantined and I checked out the real filenames and locations in my security history. The files have gone from my P.C. When I look at McAfees list of Quarantined files it is blank - no items listed. So how can I submit them for Analysis and more important if I need them how can I get them restored?

I know that two of the files came from TalkTalk internet service provider. (one being c:\Program Files\TalkTalk\agentui\bcont.exe) and on google search up till now this file was not suspected.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nkelly
Level 11

Re: Where are my Quarantined files? Artemis!E934FE5BC220 Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6 Artemis!240973407204

Jump to solution

Hi, the files detected as Artemis!E934FE5BC220, Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6 and Artemis!240973407204 have been analysed and confirmed to be non-malicious. They should no longer be detected by GTI.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Where are my Quarantined files?

Jump to solution

Moved this to Artemis forum.

They're in your Quarantine folder.

Open McAfee SecurityCenter

Click Navigation

Scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items and expand the 'drawers'

It should give you a clue there as to where they were and what they are.

If false see here: 

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
dmurphy
Level 9

Jump to solution

Sorry not made myself clear.

If I Scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items and expand the 'drawers' - Done that all 3 draws when opened are blank

To indicate I opened them. I click the up down arrow next to where it says Quarantined (and the other two)

Get tables with headings

Item   Threat  Detected  Status

but nothing on where the list should be - Blank

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK, sorry I misunderstood you too.  If you have the Artemis detection numbers you can dispute them by email, 1 email for each one, with the header False Artemis................ (put the detection number there) as mentioned in the link I posted above.

Either VirusScan deleted them or has otherwise hidden them.

0 Kudos
dmurphy
Level 9

Jump to solution

O.K. it also says its worth posting them here as well. They Are

Artemis!E934FE5BC220

Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6

Artemis!240973407204

The reason there are only 3 is two occured twice which gives 5 files.

I was checking my external incremental backup disc hence they get backed up each time they change. I just checked my PC hard disc (where the backups come from) and I had deleted them myself a while ago as they are no longer in use.

However it still concerns me that McAfee can delete files without warning me. Can I set it to warn me if it intends to delete a file.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Where are my Quarantined files? Artemis!E934FE5BC220 Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6 Artemis!240973407204

Jump to solution

I have added them to the thread header just in case.  Yes I tend to agree with you on that point, but you said these are all part of your ISP's installation?

If so then they should be pursuing it on a Corporate level.

0 Kudos
dmurphy
Level 9

Jump to solution

No. I recently changed my ISP from TalkTalk (who use FSecure sorry to mention a rival) to BT (British Telcom) who use McAfee and hence I now use your software. Thus as I inferred previously I deleted all the TalkTalk and FSecure stuff from my PC but not from my backup disc. So TalkTalk and or FSecure know nothing about all this as I just discovered it today using McAfee. Also I have no longer got any contact with TalkTalk so they will not even become aware of it.

By the way Two files were from TalkTalk (ISP) and the other from some software called Advanced registry Doctor that I tried out then removed.

So to sum up I am not concerned about the loss of these files because I don't use them any more but I am a little concerned about the way McAfee software has handled them.

One other thing of note is that I also have independent software that monitors background operations and as far as I can tell as each Trojan was discovered it warned me that a monitored program was attempting to change my preferred IE start page which I disallowed. At this point I believe that ether McAfee software tried to interfere with my IE settings or as the "bad" files were removed they activated in some way and did it.

Edit

It just occured to me that McAfee software may have detected that when TalkTalk was installed it changed my IE home page and was trying to restore the situation and maybe the file that was deleted was one that can change my IE home page which is a malicious act.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Good that you wont miss those files ;-)   Bad that the software never asked before sending them to their doom, I agree.

You might, just a s a precaution run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free - see 3rd Party Tools here: 

0 Kudos
nkelly
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hi, the files detected as Artemis!E934FE5BC220, Artemis!B1CCA05CD6B6 and Artemis!240973407204 have been analysed and confirmed to be non-malicious. They should no longer be detected by GTI.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
dmurphy
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos