cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patndave
Level 8

What is this problem called?

Jump to solution

I am new to the community and not a computer expert.  I tried searching but was not successful or was overloaded with hits.

I think I have a virus or something similar.  I have Acronis True Image.  In the past, I have been able to install a clean image of my hard drive after being infected and that has cleared up the problem.  However, this one is giving me problem and I do not know a way around it.

The basic problem  is that my computer does not allow me to boot up in Safe Mode, it only allows Start Windows Normally.  I cannot move the highlight to any other selection.  My computer will not reboot from the cd drive.  I cannot run any exe file from my c: drive of cd drive, so I cannot reinstall Windows or start Acronis True Image.   A full scan of my computer with McAfee did not identify any problem.

When I try any exe, I receive a popup saying: The procedure entry point MSWSOCK.MigrateWinsockConfiguration could not be located in the dyanamic link library WSOCK32.dll

Can anyone tell me what this is called so I can search for it by name, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patndave
Level 8

Re: What is this problem called?

Jump to solution

Thanks for all your responses.  

I am ok now. 

It was an infection that was cleaned up by the service tech.  However, it appears there was a second problem with the DVD drive.  The computer would not start up from the dvd drive even after the infection was removed.  The tech said he thought it might have been dust in the drive that prevented the drive from reading discs properly.  He cleaned the drive and it is also working properly now.  I am glad I took it in to the shop.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Hayton
Level 17

Jump to solution

I see a handful of posts in other forums asking this same question. Are any of them from you? I don't see any helpful advice or fixes except one long and intricate thread in the Malwarebytes forum (here) from a while back, where the user apparently had multiple malware infections.

Have you seen any security window pop-ups like the ones fake antivirus programs display?

You say you were able to run a McAfee scan but can't run any executables from your hard disk or cd drive : have you tried running anything from a USB device? If you can do that there is something from Microsoft that might help you : Windows Defender Offline Beta.

If you can't run that. we'll need to know a few things :

- do you still have internet access, and if so are your searches being redirected?

- are your McAfee, Microsoft, Adobe (etc, etc ...) programs fully up to date?  (Check.)

- what is your OS, your browser versions, your McAfee product and version?

- can you run Stinger and Getsusp or are they blocked?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Can't you initiate System Restore to go back to before all this happened?   If you can then don't forget to run McAfee updater and Windows Updates right afterwards.

0 Kudos
patndave
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks,  but no.  Windows restore will not launch.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Oh dear, and you said you can't reach Safe Mode.  What operating system & Service Pack is this?

0 Kudos
patndave
Level 8

Jump to solution

Windows XP Pro with SP3,  All software is kept up to date.  I use IE9 for browser and McAfee Security Center 11.0.623.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You could try re-associating files types:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1264

0 Kudos
patndave
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not me, this is my first post on this forum.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

??

I was answering the first of your two responses...just saw the second one now...maybe a good idea to take it in.

0 Kudos
patndave
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank your for the support.  After reading the possible fixes, I decided the solution may be above my pay grade.  I will bring my computer to the business that built it for me and let them handle it from here on.

Thanks again,

David

0 Kudos