cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SECURITYTOOL
Level 7

What is the best way to remove SECURITY TOOL

Jump to solution

Is this a virus or malware. Next question is safe mode the best way to remove it. I have my Internet disconnected will it cause a problem to reconnect it in safe mode. Thanks for any help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: What is the best way to remove SECURITY TOOL

Jump to solution

I've never done it to be honest so you should be asking BleepingComputer forum as it's their website and tutorial.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SECURITYTOOL
Level 7

Jump to solution

I forgot to add that I ran a scan in safe mode and McAfee did not find it.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's not a virus but a rogue or fake anti-spyware application that can compromise your machine if you follow its instructions.

The best removal instructions for this are here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool

Scroll down the page, ignore the first links you see as they are all adverts.

0 Kudos
SECURITYTOOL
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hey thanks for the info. I 99% sure that I got it out. The only thing I'm not sure was the Host file. Its not clear how to remove it so I did a search and deleted the file from there. Any idea if that's the way it should be done. If not please let me know. Thanks again

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I've never done it to be honest so you should be asking BleepingComputer forum as it's their website and tutorial.

0 Kudos
SECURITYTOOL
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Ex_Brit  I do believe that I got rid of it. As well, I  did post my question On BleepingComputer but have not received a reply as of yet. However, Thanks for your help I might need it again..........

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're welcome and good luck.

0 Kudos
klalpey225
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've got it now on my son's computer.  Same method of infection ... update to PC saying Java needed updating.

Working the instructions on from:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool  but the Upload is dated 2009 and the rkill doesn't seem to address this version.

Going to start my computer in safe mode and try again.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Jave updates should be done as should all software & system updates.   If a BC 'cure' doesn't work you should post on their forums about it.

Post a Hijackthis log in their special forum here:

BLEEPING COMPUTER FORUM

Download it from:

DOWNLOAD HIJACKTHIS

0 Kudos