cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gangplankftw
Level 7

Websteroids??? is this a virus?

Hey guys,

I got this websteroids installed on my computer and I have no clue what it is ... .

Does anyone know anything about this program?  I been noticing lots of popups lately (surveys) on  every site I go on.

My comp seems to be running slower as well , I did a full scan with no luck at all.

Should I be worried about this program???

Please help me out

0 Kudos
20 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Websteroids??? is this a virus?

Websteroids ia more of a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) than anything else, a nuisance in other words.   Be very careful downloading and installing things thyat there isn't unwanted 3rd party software added optionally.

Try running Malwarebytes Free and maybe AdwCleaner both linked in the last link in my signature below.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as a better spot for it.

0 Kudos

I got this nasty when installing stuff onto my son's newly built PC (new install therefore no backup yet !!). Got it from software-watcher.com, supposedly a safe site. Huh.

It changed the default home page in both IE and Chrome browsers and I reset them manually.

The uninstaller wouldn't work, despite several attempts. When terminating the process it kept re-starting.

In the end I removed it with Malwarebytes in SAFE MODE (it was detected as malware) but the process removed most of the shortcuts from the start menu and I had to recover them using system restore.

PS Win7 64 Pro.

Marv

Message was edited by: marvintheandroid on 12/03/14 10:40:54 CDT
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Hi marvintheandroid,

Thank you for clarifying your success in removal of this nasty piece of Malware. As you can see by the many suggestions, in many different scenarios various attempts of removal of such, can be tedious. Quite often even using the suggested sites for removal, may even as suggested in my (Post#13) recquire such said programs be ran in either "Safe-Mode" or "Safe Mode/w Networking".

Irregardless, Glad to know that you were successful in the removal of such.

As myself and (all) of the Moderators consistently express...One has to pay (Close) attention to which installations one may allow. For more times than not, other (PUP) are bundled with the download.

Edit: I might add in addition, one of the most simple approaches to resolving such said infections, is as Ex_Brit has suggested. To revert back to a previous "Restore Point" when your last know good configuration is as such, meaning (before ) you acquired said such infection. Having said this...please make certain you are current with all Windows Updates/ including McAfee. Anti-Virus Engine Versions.

All of the mentioned suggestions can be found under Ex_Brit,s Profile/Signature., along with the Anti-Spyware/Highjackers Removal tools.

I would also suggest that you run the latest " McAfee Getsusp Tool" to further assure that there are no remaining " Suspicious/Unknown" programs remaining on your system. Please remember to select "Preferences" and type in your E-mail Address, before submitting to the McAfee Global Intelligence Threat Base.

I apologize for so many " Edits'...I need to learn how to spell !!!!

Kind Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/12/14 5:14:12 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

As a 60 plus computer user, not a computer fixer, my heart sank when I read about the proposed fixes for this horrible Websteroids nasty.  I ienvisaged hours spent in front of the screen, and undoubtedly high levels of  frustration at my limited level of computer expertise. So I did what I have done a few times before in similar situations.  I performed System Restore.  I share the computer with my partner, and we worked out when the problems (he described as golden balls flying across the screen!!) started, possibly due to a click relevant to a Skype thing (He is not an administrator on the computer so cannot download any software programmes).  Picked a restore point for the day before, and it has worked, hooray!!. 

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

That definitely in certain scenarios will do the trick. As mentioned in "Ex_Brit,s" Document which can be found under his Signature. Please make certain you are still current with all of your updates/add-ons, to include McAfee.

Due to the fact that in some cases, reverting back to a previous Restore point, can cause issues with your McAfee Product. You can run a "  SFC/SCANNOW" in command prompt to make sure the integrity of all your (Windows Updates) are indeed in tact.

I might add in addition, run a manual check for updates for McAfee as well....

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
gangplankftw
Level 7

Hey thanks for the info , installing it right away

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good luck.

0 Kudos
gangplankftw
Level 7

Used both and sadly no luck, but I did notice my cpu usage went down after using both... so on the bright side it did fix something .

It's just pretty annoying that I can't get rid of these extra ads and surveys.

0 Kudos