Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 24

Re: Webget malware got past McAfee

I might add that I use IE11 specifically, and when attempting to ammend/edit my post, I received an "Error has occured", followed by, "You are not allowed permission to edit in this Forum"?

Like you said, I always check my links after inserting them,and both yours and mine worked initially.

My conclusion, is the Forum Software is acting up.   (Sigh)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Unfortunately Jive is not renowned for its ease-of-use. Sorry but they chose it not I.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 24

i'm using Chrome. I gave up on IE (very slow and clunky) a couple of years back.

webget is not malware, just a nuisance.  However you may have something else.  Check the last link in my signature below or in Cliff's signature, same link.

I've established internally that there may be a problem with certain browsers and forum links.  It's reported.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 24

I ran stinger and rootkit remover  but both found nothing.

I re ran macafee update and this time it dedided it needed an update. The anti-virus/Spam etc parts now say 5/7 (although the security center still says 5/1).

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Your Current Engine Version should be 1882.0, and Anti-Spam Version 4934 or above. Dependent upon your Geographical Location. All seems good to me. Please be self assured, that "webget" is not a (Virus) just an annoying piece of crap.

Glad all seems to be okay. Oh, as for your McAfee Security Center showing 5/1/2014. That could be from when the last build was updated. Mine is currently 12.8.957.

Oooops, sorry Peter..I thought the OP had responded to me, my Bad.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 5/7/14 11:57:56 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Different parts of SecurityCenter update at different times so dates would vary like that.  No problem Cliff.

treetrunk wrote:

i'm using Chrome. I gave up on IE (very slow and clunky) a couple of years back.

Try Firefox maybe?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 19 of 24

So If i understand you correctly, McAaffee isn't intended to stop malware, despite my subscribing to the entire:

anti-virus

anti-spypware

anti-spam

firewall

site advisor

parent controls

file lock

Quick clean

shredder, and

vulnerability scanner.. package.

That's troubling because I expected McAfee to do just that.

For software to get past McAfee unchalleged, to hamper my browser to the point it's unuseable, to corrupt my windows update database, change my internet searches, and throw my firewall wide open to god knows what further vulnerabilities, is more than a nuisance.

I would have expected the real-time scanner to detect the threat, and the firewall to catch the "risky behavior" at the very least.

I think I'm going to have to change to Norton or AVG or something that actually works.

treetrunk wrote:

So If i understand you correctly, McAaffee isn't intended to stop malware, despite my subscribing to the entire:

anti-virus

anti-spypware

anti-spam

firewall

site advisor

parent controls

file lock

Quick clean

shredder, and

vulnerability scanner.. package.

That's troubling because I expected McAfee to do just that.

For software to get past McAfee unchalleged, to hamper my browser to the point it's unuseable, to corrupt my windows update database, change my internet searches, and throw my firewall wide open to god knows what further vulnerabilities, is more than a nuisance.

I would have expected the real-time scanner to detect the threat, and the firewall to catch the "risky behavior" at the very least.

I think I'm going to have to change to Norton or AVG or something that actually works.

Nonsense.  That is not what I said at all.  Currently Webget is nuisance adware, not malware and was something you downloaded, perhaps inadvertently, with something else so be careful in future..  McAfee as with Norton, Kaspersky and all the others, protects you against millions of threats with over 150,000 new signatures added daily.

McAfee Labs main page is here:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs.aspx and their Threat Center is here:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat-center.aspx

There were some old trojans named Webget years ago and those are already in the database.  If you feel that it should be included in the database, submit it either by email or using the GetSusp tool (the latter would have to be run while it is still on your system but is by far the easiest way of submitting samples to the labs) - see http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat-center/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/05/14 1:19:57 EDT PM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community