cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Vundo

Hi I am a newbie to this forum, like some others I searched through support because Vundo kept coming back and McAfee doesn't seem to take care of it and ended up in the forums. Windows Live Care detected the Vundo on my PC but could not clean it. With this Trojan does anyone know if I am safe transferring files from My Documents onto my portable back up drive? I will try Super Anti SPyware and MBAM now - wish me luck! I think this Vundo has disabled my Automatic updates and my McAfee so I hope this works. If this doesn't work would it just be easier to back up my files and do a system restore?

Lots of Thanks to all of those with the knowledge to help others like myself!
Tags (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Vundo

Giving you your own thread and split your post from the other. It's probably better to clean the computer instead of a system restore. But that's just my opinion...
If the above advise doesn't work then you might even download the HijackThis tool, read how to create a log file and post that log file to another forum, where they have the experts to help you *read* the log file and advise you in taking more steps. For instance this forum: Bleepingcomputer.
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Just to clarify, did you mean reformat your hard drive and reinstall your OS,
or use system restore to restore your computer to a previous (saved) state?

As Jubo said , if possible, it's better to let a HJT expert clean your computer.

Windows system restore saves copy's of all files , even bad ones.

From Bleeping Computer:

Problems with System Restore
There are some problems associated with System Restore when it comes to viruses. When restore points are created they are stored in a directory that is accessible only to the System account and not to a user. This keeps the restore points safe from misuse and tampering. Unfortunately this also means that any virus scan software you may have installed can not scan the files located there as well. This causes a problem if a file that is infected with a virus gets backed up into a restore point because now the anti-virus software can not clean it. Now if you ever restore from a restore point, that file that is infected will be introduced back into your system.

With this in mind, if you find that you are infected with a virus, hijacker, or spyware and want to make sure you do not get reinfected if you restore a restore point, you should turn System Restore off and then back on again to clear all the restore points. This will guarantee that their are no infected files that could be restored.

Only proceed with the last paragraph after your computer has been cleaned.
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 4 of 6

Regarding the "System Restore..." apart from what is posted about it, the McAfee software doesn't play well with it too. You most likely have to uninstall/reinstall after you did the system restore with McAfee software installed...
Highlighted

Thanks Jubo & Melboy,

I ran the two scanners that was recommended - MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware (ran CCleaner also) and they cleaned the Vundo off. Automaitc updates began working again and so did system restore. And most of all no annoying pop-ups every 3 minutes!

BTW yes I actually meant a system recovery to reformat the drive and start from scratch again. My thoughts were that maybe now would be a good time to clean off all the old crap and unnecessary files and programs from the PC. Your thoughts?

Much Mahalo from here in HI
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Glad to hear your running better, You might consider posting at a forum on Ex Brits post with a HiJackThis log to make sure your really clean and maybe correct things that led you to being infected in the first place.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=214242

As for the re-format it really is personal choice.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community