Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonWM
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 19

Virus scan getting stuck at $recycled .bin

My virus scan gets stuck here. Also my computer won't give me access to these folder. What is going on? Is this a virus? If so how do I get rid of it? I have the McAfee Security Center from Comcast.

When I try to access this folder I get this error:

Location is not available. C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21... is not accesible. Access is denied.
18 Replies

RE: Virus scan getting stuck at $recycled .bin

Hello

Empty your recycle bin and then run a scan.
Rob
Level 7
Message 3 of 19

I have written an article on how to get rid of this virus

link removed

Hope I have helped?
SimonWM
Level 7
Message 4 of 19

RE: I have written an article on how to get rid of this virus

I found this answer:

>>>>In Windows Vista, the $RECYCLE.BIN folder can be a legitimate folder. It's where the Recycle Bin files are stored until you clear the Recycle Bin. If you find the folder in locations other than the root of the drive, then it is likely to be a suspicious folder otherwise it's normal. If your antivirus is saying that a virus is found in that folder, then you can simply clear the Recycle Bin which will delete any viruses in the Recycle Bin.

I'm not sure why you have the protected system files and folders unhidden, but I should warn you that you shouldn't delete or modify any of the hidden system folders or files if aren't sure what they are for. In most cases there's no reason to show your hidden system files/folders since they aren't meant for tampering with and do so can result in various problems in the functionality of Windows.>>>>>

I'm on Windows Vista and so far the only suspicious behavior is that McAfee can't finish the scan and gets stuck. How can I make sure that this is a virus or normal behavior.
Rob
Level 7
Message 5 of 19

Hi Simon

You may have a virus named OtorunD or commonly known as the recycler virus.

The Answer is here

Reboot into safe mode and follow the instructions in the above post.
SimonWM
Level 7
Message 6 of 19

This part of the instructions makes me scared:

>>Leaving windows explorer open, navigate to the root of the c:\ drive and remove autorun.inf and any files that end in *.cmd and *.bat excepting for Autorun.bat and Command.com which are legacy files you may or may not have. >>

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_remove_the_virus_recycler_exe
Grif
Level 10
Message 7 of 19

An automatic tool to perform the same steps:

Download and use AutoRun Eater from the link below:

http://download.cnet.com/Autorun-Eater/3000-2239_4-10752777.html

Be sure to place all your flash drives in a USB port when using it.. Since many such problems are related to flash drive, the tool will clean them as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Rob
Level 7
Message 8 of 19

Nice, thanks Grif.
BTW That tool does not remove the virus, it only gets rid of the autorun.inf file on the computer and the memory stick and prevents the use of autorunning on the machine and the risk of spreading to another machine. This works if this program were to be run before windows starts and the virus gets itself into memory via explorer.exe and a file named svhoste.exe.

Autoexec.bat no longer does much, it was a legacy script file to start up things before your computer started up, some people use it still - but as now they used autorun in msconfig and registry editor.

Did you reboot your machine into safe mode and find any files in your recycle bin using the method of enabling hidden and system files?
SimonWM
Level 7
Message 9 of 19

Shouldn't MacAfee have an automatic way of getting rid of this? How do I know that I am in fact infected? I can't find too much about this virus. Plus above all; my computer is working perfectly normal. ???????

First of all, who says this is a virus? The location of the folder is legitimate. I would say that the file in question within the recycle bin is a large file, possibly an archive and that is why the scan is getting stuck on that file. The file in question could be 100MB?

So, have you emptied your recycle bin yet?
Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.