cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Virus removal assistance

I have a virus that is effecting my explorer.exe file. I can log onto Windows XP but all of my desktop icons are gone. I can access task manager and force programs to run. I copied explorer.exe from another pc and ran it but still when i reboot I get the same results. I ran AVIVA and it said the explorer.exe file was locked and could not be scanned and the same with rundll.exe. I have downloaded about 4 antivirul/malware programs over teh past few days with no results, AVIVA did find two trojans but removing them did not help. I get an error when I try to run McAfee and it won't do a scan, even in safe mode I get the same results.

HELP, SOMEONE, PLEASE. I don't want to have to wipe my hard drive off if I dont' have too.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
1 Reply
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

RE: Virus removal assistance

Try booting to "Safe Mode with Networking" by tapping F8 repeatedly during bootup, download the free version of this software to your Desktop, update it and try running it in that mode.

See if that helps.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community