cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus prevents access to Mcafee.com

Hi. I recently had an MSN Messenger virus which, among other things, corrupted my computer's registry. It also disabled my McAfee virus scanner and made some other change to my system that causes my browser to re-route to Google whenever I try to visit the McAfee.com homepage.

I was able to manually undo all of the virus's damage except for the browser re-route issue. No antivirus/antispyware program that I've run has been able to find, let alone solve the problem.

Does anyone know how I can undo this change and access the McAfee homepage again?
Tags (1)
6 Replies
Grif
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

RE: Virus prevents access to Mcafee.com

Since you may, or may not have removed the virus/trojan/spyware completely, a little more information would be nice..

Which operating system are you using?

Which version of antivirus program are you using?

Which version of antispyware program have you used to clean things up? (Many such browser "redirects" are caused by spyware/trojans and to clean them out completely, you need to use multiple antispyware tools such as those at the links below:)

Antispyware Removal Tool 1

Antispyware Removal Tool 2

Which browser are you having problems with? (Have you tried a secondary browser such as Firefox?)

If the problem is with Internet Explorer, have you tried simply changing the homepage to something different? (From IE, click on "Tools", choose "Internet Options". ON the first page, in the "Home Page" section, retype your favorite homepage. If it's Google, then retype: http://www.google.com Or... you can visit the Google page while the INternet Options box is open, then click on the "Use Current" button.) Does that fix it?

Hope this helps.

Grif

My OS is Windows XP Home. My antivirus (currently) is AVG Free 7.5. McAfee has been unable to download updates ever since the virus, since it blocks access to the main site, so there's no point in using it at the moment.

I'm using the latest versions of AdAware SE Home and Spybot S&D for malware removal. I tried the ones you linked to but they found nothing but tracking cookies (which I was glad to delete, but my problem remains...).

I use Firefox primarily. Both Firefox and IE are affected by the re-routing, which leads me to believe that there's something bugged up in the system somewhere.

My homepage is unaffected. I just can't access McAfee.com anymore (or any relevant areas of the site where I could scan my system/download updates).
Grif
Level 10
Message 4 of 7

OK, then it may be a HOSTS file issue.. Since you mentioned Spybot, please check their HOSTS file/Immunize settings to make sure the McAfee.com site isn't added.

Likewise for your standard HOSTS file.. On XP, the file will reside at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Open the HOSTS file (it will be named "HOSTS" with no file extension.), with Notepad and edit out any McAfee.com additions.

If none of the above shows a problem, then download and run HiJackThis from the link below.. Run the tool and save the log file as directed, then post the log at one of the specialized sites for interpreting the log.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=255339&messageID=2533167

Hope this helps.

Grif

Alright, now we're onto something. The system HOSTS file contains a list of many antivirus sites, not just mcafee.com...and all of them re-route me to Google when I type them into my browser. This seems to be the root of the problem...

However, I can't save my changes to the HOSTS file (something about it being read-only). Is there a way of getting around this?

EDIT: Something I'd forgotten to mention before...the McAfee program itself is corrupted. The McAfee programs will open but they look like empty windows...
Grif
Level 10
Message 6 of 7

Change the "Read Only" attribute on HOSTS... RIGHT click on the file, choose "Properties", then UNCHECK the "read only" box.. You may also need to make sure that you have permissions to alter it..

Because a number of viruses/trojans attempt to block antivirus programs, it's possible your's is corrupted.. If that's the case, then you'll want to uninstall, then reinstall McAfee.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Whew! Ok, looks like McAfee is up and running ok again, and my sites aren't blocked anymore...that should be it.

Thanks for all your help Grif. :cool:

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community