cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panthera
Level 7

Virus on computer not detected by mcafee security suite

Hi, Has anyone come across this problem yet and if so please please tell me how you resolved it!  I had to send some pictures via email, and noticed that they were about 260kbs larger than the images I was sending, so I tried to run a scan, but everytime I did the screen blanked out and computer froze so had to reboot, tried again same thing, I could work on computer no problem, but as soon as I tried to run stinger or security suite computer switched off, I can run Malaware and ccleaner no prob, tried to run the mcafee freescan, message says 'your current browser is not supported even though I had ie8, then redirected to download a current browser, which I downloaded  (took forever as internet acting strange) and on a go slow. rebooted to install and found I now have ie7, tried to run freescan again, same message, virtualtechnican says everything is working fine, so how come I cant run a virus scan? tried the 'chat' at technican support and told I need to speak to virus removal at a cost of £60, which I believe to be a bit steep! so I am here, pleading for some help. 

David

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DoZe
Level 9

Re: Virus on computer not detected by mcafee security suite

Hey ,download and run a scan with GetSusp send the suspicious file it finds to www.virustotal.com to see if they are indeed malware, if GetSusp finds something that is malware and  you want to delete it from your pc but you don't have permission or for some reason can't delete that file download and install FileAssassin to delete it.

After all this run a online scan using Nod32 here.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.

0 Kudos
panthera
Level 7

Hi, Thank you for replying to me, I tried to run GetSusp but its asking for a password before it can extract the files, is it sopposed to do that?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I believe that is clean

0 Kudos
panthera
Level 7

I'm sorry, I can be extremely thick at times (most of the time) if GetSusp asks for a password to extract files it means computer is clean?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

No, the password for the application is clean .  The password for the infected files submitted to McAfee is infected.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/10/10 9:51:13 EDT AM
0 Kudos
panthera
Level 7

Hi again, Sorry to be a pest, ran GetSusp, tried to upload file  to virustotal, but keep getting  message "Bad gateway - the proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server" , downloaded virustotals uploader, that came up with a similar message, it seems to upload the file right up to the last then hangs forever, then the error message comes up, tried to send the file via email - same thing, upload hangs on the very last bit then I get an error message, last one on hotmail saying file error it could not scan file.  The file is just over 4mbs is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
DoZe
Level 9

Try to upload the file to Virscan maybe Virustotal is having some problems don't know why you are getting that error message

0 Kudos
panthera
Level 7

Hi, tried to send log to virscan, but it kept saying more than 20 files sent, so removed as much as I dare to bring it down, but it was still too many files however the scanner results did come up on what it could scan, all the scanners came up with  something, but mainly backdoor.win32.bifrose in the virus name, some said more, some said less but they all seemed to agree on those words. Now all I need to do is find out how to remove it. fileassassin doesnt seem to work, access denied or file doent exist on the ones I did try.  You are very knowledgeable, is there a way to remove the virus without systematically removing everything on my computer? I want to save the pics of my grandchildren, but afraid to copy them to disk and risk spreading virus.

0 Kudos