cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manaranger
Level 7

Virus got through Security Center 9. Now McAfee wants $89 to disinfect my machine.

Why does McAfee charge $89 to get rid of a virus THEY let infect my machine?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Virus got through Security Center 9. Now McAfee wants $89 to disinfect my machine.

Moved to the correct area.  No protection software is infaliible so one has to exercise due care & like all protection software makers if you want them to do the resulting cleanup work you pay.   As you don't mention any details such as your operating system and service pack and any name(s) for the infection it's difficult to tell you what to do, but there are always free alternatives available.

Try downloading, updating and running the free version of the following two tools.  Let them remove everything they find and reboot immediately if they ask you to.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html  (unless you are using Windows 7 32-bit,then use the next tool)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

0 Kudos
manaranger
Level 7

Re: Virus got through Security Center 9. Now McAfee wants $89 to disinfect my machine.

Thanks for the reply Peter.

I am running XP and tried to access a video. The video box said I needed to download the latest Flash Video Plugin. So I clicked on the button and things went South from there. Now I'm getting boxes saying my system is infected and to click OK to download virus protection. The worst thing is I cannot access the Task Manager. When I right click to bring it up I get a "WARNING" box saying "Application cannot be executed. The file is infected. Please activate your antivirus software." I tried to do a System Restore and got the same message.

Got anything I can try to get rid of this?

Ray

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK that's too bad.  The second tool I listed above; Malwarebytes, will download, update and can be run in Safe Mode with Networking, reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Try that.

This is XP SP3 I hope.

Alternatively you could try initiating System Restore in Safe Mode also.  If it succeeds disable System Restore to eliminate the infected folders.  You can enable it later.

Whenever an add-on is called for it's always best to go to the source for it.

When this is sorted out you can use the following links to check on Flash and Shockwave player status and it will update them automatically if need be.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/10 12:16:07 EST PM
0 Kudos
manaranger
Level 7

Yes, XP SP3. I am running the SUPERAntiSpyware now. I wasn't going to try the malware suggestion as I am not running Windows 7. If that is not restrictive criteria I will try that next. I am also getting a box that says "c.exe" has stopped running. This started at the same time.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Depending where you read c.exe could be malicious or benign, so that's a moot question.  The software should weed any malware out, hopefully.

Malwarebytes is OK for XP, Vista and Win 7 so shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
manaranger
Level 7

Well, the SUPERAntispyware finished so I followed the instructions and clicked on "Remove/Quarantine". Now I can't even get the computer to run!! I try to boot and it comes up with a different screen and, when I click on the icon, it tries to open but returns to the logon window saying "now logging off." This occurs in 'Safe Mode' as well.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

What happens if you choose "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

When you ran Superantispyware did you simply let it run or did you fiddle with its settings...like "Bootsafe" for instance?

0 Kudos
manaranger
Level 7

I did nothing with the AV software. Just let it run native.

As to Last Known Good Configuration I come up in the same configuraton. I get a logon screen I never had before and it returns to loggoff in about a second after clicking the icon.

0 Kudos