cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsingle
Level 7

Virus Protector takes over XP machine totally

I think this has morphed from Artemis style to this.  We cannot even start in Safe Mode.  The system starts up and goes immediately to this Quick Scan fake screen and windows popping up to invite registration.  CTL-ALT-DEL triggers but the Task Manager is greyed out.  Any thoughts on how to regain control of this PC?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
paullotion
Level 11

Re: Virus Protector takes over XP machine totally

Hello,  If you can get into safe mode with networking then follow these instructions. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-virus-protector

0 Kudos
jsingle
Level 7

Sorry to say I cannot get control of the XP machine.  The infection has taken over the entire screen. Any thoughts on alternative ways to get control short of a reload would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
paullotion
Level 11

Can you download Malwarebytes, click start>Internet explorer>copy/pase this link into the url:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe

Next click start>run and type(or copy/paste)this command:

mbam-setup.exe

This should start to install Malwarebytes. Let me know if Virus Protector blocks Malwarebytes from running.

0 Kudos
JFoosh56
Level 7

Concur with Malwarebytea advice. I had to download it on another PC to a thumb drive. Then use the thumb drive on my PC as the source for running it. This worked enough to allow me access to the internet where I could get an update tp the Malwarebytes and run it a second time for complete fix.

0 Kudos
jsingle
Level 7

JFoosh56 got us going in the right direction.  This particular strain of Malware would not allow the memory stick to start so we rebooted in Safe Mode with command prompt and executed the memory stick mbam-setup.exe that way.  So far about 7 Trojans and over 300 hits ... at lease we could launch something that looks like it will work.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
jsingle
Level 7

While we did manage to get control and run the AV software in the end we had to wipe the disk and reinstall XP Pro.

0 Kudos
sportjuggler
Level 7

There is an easy fix for this.

I can help you out if you haven't fixed the problem yet.

0 Kudos
Shadow
Level 7

I have the same problem though it's called XP Security Tool. It slipped in when I was installing a compatiblity file from the microsoft site for my XP pc and it targeted a loop hole through Adobe.

Although McAfee 'quarantined' the file called: Exploit-PDF.bu (http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_260322.htm) I am constantly getting pop-ups stating I have over 27 infections on my pc. It is also blocking a few sites in particular malware bytes and McAfee (so I am using the laptop at the moment).

I've never had to use system restore before so I am utterly clueless in that aspect as well as being stumped because I cannot seem to install malware bytes software despite downloading it on the laptop, storing it on a CD and trying to install it that way on the main desktop pc.

Please help?

Message was edited by: Shadow on 18/03/10 12:11:23 CDT
0 Kudos
Shadow
Level 7

I've also just found the process in Task Manager: 'ave.exe' - when I click End process the pop-ups go away until I try using McAfee or trying to load malware bytes.

0 Kudos