cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natwjwab
Level 7

Virus - Message that hpqste08.exe is corrupt and others

Jump to solution

Virus says that hpqste08.exe is corretupt... and messages that say "do you want to stay unprotected".

Have run Malewarebytes in safe mode, but virus remains.

Has also taken over some browser controls... redirecting me to adult sites.

Any help / suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paullotion
Level 11

Re: Virus - Message that hpqste08.exe is corrupt and others

Jump to solution

Hello,  

This is commonly know as a Trojan.Fakealert- the files in question are not infected...the trojan is using system process(s) to stop you running any files in the hope you`ll purchase the rogue software.

Without knowing the name of the rogue it can be difficult to know which fix to go with.

You can try this fix in the link below as it is similar to the problems you are facing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-personal-internet-security-2011

When running rkill, a message may pop up stating that rkill is infected...ignore that message and run rkill again...keep running rkill until it runs and do not close the boxes until after rkill has run. One other point, do not reboot your system until after rkill has been run- reboot if required by Malwarebytes. You can also download a new version of Dr.WebCureit...as it is updated almost hourly.

Good luck.

on 02/01/11 17:05:28 GMT

on 02/01/11 17:06:28 GMT
0 Kudos
5 Replies
paullotion
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hello,

You can run this tool...it can be run on an infected machine.

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

Good luck.

0 Kudos
natwjwab
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dr. Web did not fix the problem.

I did run both the quick scan and full scan (ran for about 8 hours).  A few items were found (adware and a possible trojan), and all were either cured or deleted.   But the problem remains.

More detail on what I am getting:

A Windows Security Alert box opens in the middle of the page with the message that some .exe file is infected.  This time it says "googleupdate.exe".

Then I get alerts from the taskbar that repeatedly open saying the computer is infectected, or that wuauclt.exe is corrupt.

Then another message near the taskbar opens called "Infiltration Alert" with the message that my computer is being attacked by an internet virus.  It then provides some detail includuing "Threat:  Win32/nuqel.e".   And it asks if I want to stop the attack.

And I can't open / activate any programs... they are all blocked.

Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
paullotion
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hello,  

This is commonly know as a Trojan.Fakealert- the files in question are not infected...the trojan is using system process(s) to stop you running any files in the hope you`ll purchase the rogue software.

Without knowing the name of the rogue it can be difficult to know which fix to go with.

You can try this fix in the link below as it is similar to the problems you are facing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-personal-internet-security-2011

When running rkill, a message may pop up stating that rkill is infected...ignore that message and run rkill again...keep running rkill until it runs and do not close the boxes until after rkill has run. One other point, do not reboot your system until after rkill has been run- reboot if required by Malwarebytes. You can also download a new version of Dr.WebCureit...as it is updated almost hourly.

Good luck.

on 02/01/11 17:05:28 GMT

on 02/01/11 17:06:28 GMT
0 Kudos
natwjwab
Level 7

Jump to solution

Success!!

At least I think so... I am on step 25 (last step) and the virus has not resurfaced.

Wow!  What a battle... probably spent 20 hours on this since Friday evening.

Thank you very much!!!

0 Kudos
paullotion
Level 11

Jump to solution

Glad we could help.

0 Kudos