cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to DAT 5925: Virus Scan finds Generic.dx!pqa...

Hello,

yesterday a full scan with DAT 5924  was clean.

Tonight after the update to DAT 5925 a scan finds this:

Generic.dx!pqa in C:\PROGRAM FILES\K-LITE CODEC PACK\TOOLS\MEDIAINFO.exe

This is a wellknown files to read some video (avi and others) and I have it on my computer for a long time.
McAfee quarantined it.

False Positive?

Regards,

Jérôme.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Update to DAT 5925: Virus Scan finds Generic.dx!pqa...

Hi Jérôme,

I moved this to Artemis discussions as more appropriate spot.

See this thread for suggestions on what you can do to prevent this:  http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

jerome.lichne wrote:

Hello,

yesterday a full scan with DAT 5924  was clean.

Tonight after the update to DAT 5925 a scan finds this:

Generic.dx!pqa in C:\PROGRAM FILES\K-LITE CODEC PACK\TOOLS\MEDIAINFO.exe

This is a wellknown files to read some video (avi and others) and I have it on my computer for a long time.
McAfee quarantined it.

False Positive?

Regards,

Jérôme.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/03/10 4:44:32 EDT PM
0 Kudos

Sorry, I did not understood your behaviour!

OK for moving my post.

I'll wait for an answer.

Regards,

Jérôme

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Sorry my French is extremely poor...the link I posted explains what to do when something is wrongly identified as an infection.

I moved it to this section because this is where the experts on this subject will see it.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have now understood!

I have submitted the file by "send to McAfee" in the quarantine options. Several times.

But even when I disable virus scan for 15 minutes, I cannot send the file by e-mail because McAfee fixes it!!

Each time I open the file I have a McAfee alert and even when I have restaured the file, it is one more time fixed and quarantined!

So I hope that developpers have received this file by submition.And hope the they will fix this (false) detection.

Regards,

Jérôme

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The best method is to first disable VirusScan as described in that link, then restore the file from quarantine.   Then zip the file and password protect it using the password infected.   Email the file to the email address described in that link with the word False in the subject line.

It should produce an immediate automated response, followed by a manual one later.  If they eventuall say it is an infection then reply stating that it is not.

0 Kudos

What I was trying to explain is that, even with virus scan  disabled (for 15 or 60 minutes), McAfee put the file in quarantine when I want to zip it and send it...

I have perfectly follow your link but, disabled or not, I cannot send it by e-mail!

But it is not very important: this file is not really necessary.

But I should prefer it was not detected as an infection for it is not.

Jérôme.

0 Kudos

One more thing: on "virus total" McAfee (+Artemis) is the only one that detects this file...

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I will flag this for attention by a McAfee person.  I hope I get one as it's now the weekend.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Meanwhile you could try this...in adddition to disabling real-time protection also fo to Navigation (top right) - General Settings & Alerts and under the Access Protection drawer disable it also.

Then try to restore the item for emailing to McAfee.

0 Kudos