cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marileep
Level 7

Unwanted websites popping up

How can I prevent unwanted websites from coming through my firewall? This morning a live chat opened on my computer from <amended>

hotchatdate[dot]com

Link to website was removed by moderator

0 Kudos
4 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Unwanted websites popping up

It seems you may have inadvertently picked up some Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPS). I would suggest that you run the Latest Getsusp Utility Enter your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning. Follow up by running Malwarebytes(Free) and then AdwCleaner.

To keep Malwarebytes Free DO NOT accept or enable any Free Trial Offers/or Activate the Pro or Paid Version.

The (Free) Version will suffice as a excellent On Demand Scanner.

These Superb Free Tools can be found Here :

To give you a better understanding of how these programs may have arrived on your system, the following two articles are most informative :

Wishing you all the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Dating sites are a happy hunting ground for cybercrooks. Always do some homework before you visit a site like this. Of course, you can find this sort of site popping up on your screen if you've downloaded something for free from all sorts of places : you get unwanted applications bundled into the download.

It's likely the PC is infected with something, hopefully not too serious. AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes ought to take care of it.

WOT rates it a scam site - https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/hotchatdate.com

And read this - http://www.datingbusters.com/hotchatdate-com-is-a-fake-chat-site-used-to-trick-people-into-registeri...

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

As Hayton stated, you have to be VERY cautious. Pay close attention to the Annotations Site Advisor gives you, and should you not have it installed. I would highly recommend doing so, or a equivalent such as WOT.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Best to have both, it's safer. They both rate this site Red, and SiteAdvisor at least should block connections to it.

0 Kudos