Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quik66
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 51 of 75

problems still existing...

So, the main issues I am having are NOT being able to update McAfee, and my computer is running slower than usual... Even if I check my "download" speeds, around 4+/- Mbs (?), the pages for threads like these (without ads and photos) take a few seconds to open (where they use to open much quicker)

I have had the "google" problem, where I was redirected to another site, but it was a site that has similar search terms. By hitting the "back" button once, it went to my original choice (and NOT back to the google search page)... But this has only happen sporadically 3-4 times...

Either Windows Security or McAfee (I forget which) were still prompting me when a program was requesting to connect to the internet (such as ESET or AR9.41) ...

Thanks

RE: problems still existing...

I wonder if you have a DNS hijack. Let's check by doing the following...

Click Start->Run.
Type in
CMD.EXE
Click OK (or press Enter).

In the Command Prompt window that appears, type in the following:
NSLOOKUP.EXE
Press Enter.
at the > prompt, type in the following:
mcafee.com
Press Enter.

Please reply back with all information in the command prompt Windows starting with the NSLOOKUP.EXE command.

Fixed at last

At last I have some news to report. I probably can not describe exactly what the problem was as the McAfee person ran some software last night that allowed me to re-load my McAfee antivirus adn it all seems OK.

I ran ESET online scanner and it found Win32\Delf.OHA Trojan. This seems to be a common issue amongst forum members. It claimed to have removed it..but still no joy accessing McAfee.

The technician then ran a program called Combofix (I think address was fastfix.notlong.com). This found one file that it deleted called c\windows\hlav11.sfd
After re-boot the McAfee website could be found and AVG was suddenly able to update itself.

After a further struggle to remove AVG for few hours which involved their removal tool and deleting a whole lot of registry keys I was able to successfully load McAfee. Hopefully it will last.

I am not sure if any of this helps anyone, but thanks to all (especially Secured2K) for such great assistance. Good luck to others. I have to say the help from McAfee and this forum has been first rate.

RE: Fixed at last

I spent a few hours looking into this bug with a sample of Delf.OHA. I've found that the symtoms are not being caused by an active virus, but rather modifications done to the system by the virus.

WallyWingnut's report of fixing the issue with "ComboFix" may work as one of the first things the tool does is restore some core Windows functionalty (which the virus broke).

I have submitted a sample of the virus to McAfee and expect those with Artemis Technology (VirusScan 13.x) to be protected within the next 12 hours, and the inclusion in future DATs to happen within the next day or two.

In the meantime, the ESET Online Scanner I posted should be able to detect and at least remove the active Virus Component.
quik66
Level 9
Message 55 of 75

combo fix

Well... I went to [filtered] and downloaded the Combofix... I hit run and within a minute or two, my computer rebooted (no screen, no info)... after it rebooted, I went back to this forum... as you can see, iwas able to log on... Not sure if I can still get to McAfee.com yet...

I also noticed the McAfee icon in the lower right of my screen... I don't recall seeing that recently... maybe a good sign...

I guess I'll now go back to Combo fix and see if there is a log...

Then I'll try updating McAfee and running a scan...

Later I'll run ESET and Malware bytes...

I'll report back here later...
Highlighted

RE: combo fix

Glad its fixed WallyWingnut!

Thank you for your valuable time Secured2K & the information shared.

For others if ComboxFix does not work or for some reason does not fix the issue, try this forum. Very Useful.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12709

But follow the steps given carefully.
quik66
Level 9
Message 57 of 75

Looks good...

Thanks everyone: secured2K, WallyWingnut (for posting about the "Combofix"), and everyone else...

I ran the Combofix, then I could update my McAfee... no more errors or telling my I don't have protection (says I am protected now)

Although I didn't see a log or any info for what Combofix found and repaired...

I can also log on here, and i can access McAfee.com

I then ran Malwarebytes scan earlier tonight, and No infected objects were found...

I just finished running the ESET online scan tool... NO threats found...

My system also seems to be running faster...

Hopefully that solved my problems...

I am going to run McAfee scan now...

RE: Looks good...

The log files would be at C:\ComboFix.log and it things it might have detected/quarantined would be in C:\Qoobox\.
Qoobox is what you would zip and send to malware experts.

RE: Looks good...

Just an added bit of information...

Another user with this exact same problem contacted me. I provided them with a tool to install that happened to use the Windows Installer. This tool made no changes and took a long time to complete the install even though it should have been done in a few seconds. The user was also asked to restart (when he shouldn't need to).

The end result is that the system came back to life. Apparently, the Windows Installer service corrected environment variables and paths and allowed normal operation of the system again.

Problem fixed

Secured2k sorted out my problem for me, he is a superstar.

It took a few hours, but with persistence he got it licked.

It was caused by the damage to my PC made by a previous virus, as I understand it.

Thanks again to him and this forum.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community