cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
risinggeek
Level 7

Unknown Boot Records

Hi! I'm relatively new to the McAfee community, but the product i've been using for almost a full year.

Recently I've had some trouble connecting McAfee to the internet when I downloaded the update. I got that problem fixed with tech support, but now I have another question. When I do a full scan of my computer, the results now show that I have a total of

5 boot records in my computer, and under the older version I had 3. I also notice that when I add my Flash Drive, I pick up two more boot records bringing the total to7, but a separate scan of the drive shows no boot records on it at all. My operating system is Windows 8 on a Dell PC, and I was wondering if this is completely normal for McAfee to show this, or if this is something i need to be concerned about.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Unknown Boot Records

My quick scan I just did showed 0 boot records (win 8 64bit). Checking custom and full scans to see if different . I as well have seen boot records in the list higher than 0 so will think on this. Usually you get 1 or more for each hard disk or external disk.stick scanned.. Did you remove any drives between scans?

Custom scan C drive gives 7 boot records rerunning

Custom scan no 2 same drives still 7 records

Custom scan c and ddrive still 7 records

This descrepency been around a bit

https://community.mcafee.com/message/269195#269195

https://community.mcafee.com/message/242413#242413

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/10/13 7:12:43 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/10/13 7:17:51 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/10/13 7:25:26 PM
0 Kudos
risinggeek
Level 7

I removed a flash drive between scans at one point, but like i said, it only brought the number down from 7 to 5.

I also just did a quick scan. It dropped the number down to 3 instead of 5.

Message was edited by: risinggeek on 10/1/13 4:14:08 AM CDT

Message was edited by: risinggeek on 10/1/13 4:14:30 AM CDT
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Keep an eye on my post above as I am updating it as i run scans then asking a tech we talk to for comment. I feel not a big deal but agreed it is confusing.

0 Kudos
risinggeek
Level 7

By the looks of it, this seems normal for the program. Is that accurate?

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Seems so though I do not understand why. I will chase this up when the tech I contacted replies

0 Kudos