cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to update McAfee Total Protection or access ANY McAfee related site

Hello folks... first time on this forum, and from what I have read & reviewed, looks fantastic. Some great people helping... so thank you in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚

I will apologize in advance for the length of this post... but having worked for an IT firm (in sales) and based on my review on some submission on this site, I have noticed some people do not provide sufficient information in order for others to reply, and then there is this back n forth of posts...

Okay, here we go... ๐Ÿ˜„
I have been battling a virus on my desktop. Not sure what it is/called. Here is some information and a couple things I have already tried but to no avail;

> I am running a P4 Win XP Home SP3 with IE 7

> It has been a few days now and my system is acting funny... things such as
~ The McAfee M icon no longer appears near the clock
~ My printer/scanner Control Center icon near the clock no longer appears
~ Whenever I restart my desktop, the toolbar is normal, but the moment I launch any program (IE, Excel, etc), the language toolbar appears. Even after I disable, on the next restart and then launch of a program, it will re-appear

> I am not able to access ANY McAfee related website (home, service, forum, etc)... just returns an error - 'Internet Explorer cannot display webpage'

> McAfee Security Center is unable to fix or update itself. The Security Center shows an Amber Status. When I select [Fix] it returns the following error - One or more problems require your response. When I select [Update] it attempts to connect for some time with the spinning arrow icon (near the clock), but it then returns the following error - 'An error occurred while updating. Please reinstall these programs: McAfee Total Protection'. Since I am not able to access My Account from the McAfee website, I am not able to re-install.

> IE seems to work sporatically. For example, I am able to reach many of my Favorites and Google searched sites, but at times it will redirect me to various websites. For example I tried to visit mozilla.com/firefox from a google search... and a white blank page appears and says something like - 'loading... please wait while your browser is re-directed'... and then takes me to www.findstuff.com and other such sites

> I have chatted online with McAfee Support and they emailed me a Stinger Tool (v 10.0.1.546) which cleaned a few items. And doing my our research, I found what looks like a newer Stinger Tool (v 10.0.1.551), and again downloaded and ran it... and still I am experiencing problems.

> At the MicroSoft Update site, after it checks for updates, it returns an interesting result. It shows 1 High Priority Update for Win XP. It is .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86. BUT then it shows the download size as 0 KB (Downloaded, ready to install). If I select the [Install] button, looks like it is trying to install something, but there is no progress... it just sems to freeze.

> Based on my review of the threads on this forum, I have downloaded and ran the SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes programs which both did find some infected items... BUT after reboot, I am suffering form the same issues.

> During download of these above programs, I received the following error message - 'Error 1704. .NET Famework 3.0 SP2 is suspended. Must undo changes to continue' And I was able to select continue, it seemed to undo and then continue with the install.

> I have completed a MS Live One Care scan since my McAfee seemed outdated, it found a few items, cleaned them and upon reboot... still no luck with resolving this issue.

> I have tested for the Conficker virus and I am able to see all 6 images

> I am running the McAfee Total Protection, which currently shows the following product details (some specifics left out, didn't think relavent);
Security Center:
Ver: 9.3
Build: 9.3.137
Last Update: 3/31/2009

Virus Scan
Version: 13.3
Build: 13.3.117
AffId: 0
Last Update: 4/2/2009
Dat Version: 5572.0000
DAT Creation Date: 4/2/2009
Engine Version: 5301.4018

Personal Firewall
Version: 10.3
Build: 10.3.106

Site Advisor
Version: 2.9
Build: 2.9.258
Last Update: 3/20/2009

Anti Spam
Version: 10.3
Build: 10.3.109
Content Version: 3245
Content Update: 4/3/2009
Engine Version: 2.1.0.7825

Okay, sorry if I have gone on toooo long with too much information :confused:, but I thought better more than too little. If anyone can help... PLEASE. I'm not sure if I need to visit a 'Repair Shop' for professional assistance... but I would prefer to handle myself as quickly as possible.

Thank you again... Cheers to all
5 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Unable to update McAfee Total Protection or access ANY McAfee related site

This seems like a conficker attack or consequence of a conficker... The virus may not be still there in the PC.. but it might have corrupted some of OS files..

Regarding the McAfee updates.

Are you able to open McAfee Security Center some how.. can you see McAfee in your add/remove programs?

RE: Unable to update McAfee Total Protection or access ANY McAfee related site

Thank you MatrixLuke

To respond to your questions...
> Opening McAfee Security Center: yes I am able to open it, it shows me a Yellow Status saying that I am NOT protected. If I select [FIX], it tries to update, but but I get an error (see original post - point #4)

> Within Add/Remove Programs, what I see for McAfee is just 1 program, that is;
McAfee Security Center... and with the following details...
159 MB... last used on 11/24/2008
{which is strange since it was in used pretty much everyday}

When you mention it may have corrupted some OS files, how can I confirm for certain? Will the repair of the OS cause any loss of data/files on that computer? How would I go about updating/repairing the OS (if that is the issue)?

BTW... I have a Dell Dimension 3100 (DV051) machine...

Thank you

Just Wondering...

Just wondering, need some input...

If I am unable to resolve this issue asap, since the issue is with connecting & updating McAfee, and IE being re-directed... could I for the time being continue to use the 'problem pc' if I discconect it from the internet?

Would it cause the PC additional harm if I delay finding a solution (or bringing it into a repair center)... or should I resolve this issue before continuing to use the PC for any purpose?

You see I am a student (having returned to university) and both my wife and I need the use of that PC and it would cause some issues without its use. So could I continue to use it for Word/Excel/PowerPoint type programs... without causing it additional harm?

I am at my witts end with this, been 3 days now. Could anyone recommend a Repair Center that could effectively assist and remove the virus and repair the OS (if that is indeed the issue as per MatrixLuke)... Would McAfee online Support be able to effectively repair and restore remotely? Or is this something someone needs to get their hands on?

Should I go to BestBuy, TigerDirect... any others? I am located in Vaughan, Ontario Canada... just north of Toronto

Thank you

McAffee Internet Security Problem

Hi

I too am a first time user, and the problem that is described here is exactly what I'm facing. So far I've used the stinger tool, windows Defender and Microsoft Malicious software remover -- all of these say the have found no infected files yet I continue to have the problem.

I tried to follow some FAQ advice on the site a couple of weeks ago, to replace the DAT file using a super dat, but it said that no valid McAfee product could be found.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in anticipation!

RE: McAffee Internet Security Problem

This thread has been closed due to inactivity (> 1 month) from the original poster.

@StuckPCUser
If you are having an issue, please try using the MalwareBytes tool and posting detailed and specific problems you are having in your own post.

MalwareBytes

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community