cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run .EXE apps

I have had issues w/ viruses for the last couple of months although I have McAfee Full protection loaded I seem to get hit freuqently.  The system has current DAT files and scanned showed a couple of issues.  Those issues have been resolved and both McAfee and STINGER run w/o incident and are clean.

I am unable to launch apps as the .EXE is not recognized.  I can right click on some applications and "start" but selecting icon will not work.    Unable to run REGEDIT in normal Windows mode.  Most apps run in safe mode by starting through task manager which I am unable to do in normal mode.

Any clues ?  I hate to do a complete rebuild!

Thanks

Message was edited by: diggero on 8/3/10 2:03:55 PM CDT
5 Replies
Highlighted
Jubo
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to run .EXE apps

Doesn't really sound like a McAfee issue, but rather a indows issue. What version of windows do you have and are you running as 'administrator' or as 'limited user' on your computer? If you right click an .exe file do you see an option 'run as administrator...' listed in the popup menu?

Is your version of Windows up-to-date? You can always check at the Microsoft Update website.

It's Windows XP.  I believe this is definately a bug.  Taks manager and other system funtions are disabled.  I am not able to re-associate .exe extentions to run programs.  I get errors indicating RUN32.DLL is not found, etc

Hello,

Try this tool:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

If regedit, taskmanger are still disabled, download this file from kellys-korner:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/regtmcmdrestore.vbs

Save to desktop, then double-click to run.

Good luck.

Paullotion,

Thanks -works fine now !!!!!!!!!!!

Glad we could help

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community