Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pyrose
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Unable to Download or Update

First, I would like to inform you that I am talking about the McAfee Security Suite (not sure if it is different from the Internet Security Suite), so I don't know if this is the correct board.

I have been using McAfee for some time as part of the Comcast bundle (which to my knowledge is still working). However, recently I have been unable to download or update the SecurityCenter from any computer in my house. I attempted to uninstall and reinstall the program, which did not work. Then, after saving the installer to a flash drive at another house, and trying to run it on this (my) computer, I found that it still could not download and gave me (Download Error: 12029). Help would be appreciated, seeing as I am currently without any form of AntiVirus software.

Also, I hope this is in the right board, I'm new to this forum.
7 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: Unable to Download or Update

Check for spyware using the free version of these two tools. Update before running and let them clean everything they find and reboot if asked.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

As that error can also mean there is a problem with the network, check with your ISP (Comcast?) and ask them if anything needs changing or resetting.
Pyrose
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

I was unable to download either of these programs from my computer, but saving the installer to the flash drive from another computer in my house allowed me to install both. However, they are encountering problems updating (one blames a firewall, the other asks to report this error to their website). I'll try to sort this out, but for now I cannot run either program the way I'm sure it's meant to be used.
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Boot to "Safe Mode With Networking" by tapping F8 while booting up. You can update Malwarebytes and run it in that mode. Try that.
Pyrose
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

No luck, I got the same errors. On the other computer I'll try to look up what the Malwarebytes error-code means.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Try cleaning the machine of any possible malware using a boot CD created by our Moderator Mark (Secured2k): http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=231079&highlight=boot+cd
Pyrose
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Actually, after scanning with Malwarebytes (without any updates), it was able to remove three infected files. After restarting, I was able to update both of the programs you recommended to me. Then, after both had been run, I was able to download and update the Security Suite.

I should be all set now, thanks for the help!
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Glad it's OK now.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community