cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
may2003
Level 7

USA Network Computer's operating system made up of Chinese characters

Hi, my Home Network came up with a strange entry. I have a couple of computers running Windows. Most are Win7, but I have an "older" Vista 64 bit machine. The other day that computer's operating system entry on my Home Network map showed two lines of Chinese characters. Now I don't even see that computer listed, but I have double listing for others. Have I been hacked?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
may2003
Level 7

Re: USA Network Computer's operating system made up of Chinese characters

My second computer now has chinese characters in the Operating System field.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I'm no network expert but I would assume something malicious has taken over. 

I assume your connection to the outside world is secure and that your operating systems on all machines are totally up to date, including all parts that you may not use such as Internet Explorer (and its add-ons)?

First thing I would do is disconnect from the network as it appears to be distributing whatever this thing is.

Then I would endeavour to use System Restore on all machines, to go back to before all of this started and then connect each machine in turn to the Internet directly and do whatever updates are needed.

See the last link in my signature below for some hints.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as probably a better spot.

0 Kudos
may2003
Level 7

Peter, thank you. I used to think I'm secure, though I'm probably no match to professional (government?) hackers. Router powered-down each night and all potential (novice user) ports/access paths turned off. All machines running McAfee and my e-mail is an old Notes client from 1998 - pre HTML...   however, it does use POP, so who knows.   I hate to restore my machines to previous versions, that's a lot of work, but may not have a choice.  I'm hoping someone will have seen this before and can give me an anwer for a real fix.  Thank you for your thoughts.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Your files and folders should be intact, System Restore only restores the system itself to an earlier time.

However it might behoove you to look into this further before trying anything.

In that last link in my signature towards the end you'll see Hijackthis or DDS mentioned.  Try posting one or the others log on one of the recommended forums and see what they say.

Also think back to when this started, what had just been downloaded.

At least run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both listed in that link.

0 Kudos
bobofet
Level 9

Please don't restore your system just yet. Can you add a screenshot?

There was a bug related to one of our detection probes that caused the Operating System to have that strange series of characters. Can you get me the version of our software that you are running?

0 Kudos