Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madprof
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Trying to download an application

I have the same problem downloading an ActiveX control DvROcx.cab. McAfee identifies it as a trojan virus. Peter's post does not seem to be any help. I am using Windows XP. This is my McAfee version info.

McAfee Agent 

Version number: 4.5.0.1499

McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module 

Version number: 8.7.0.129

VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 

Version number: 8.7i (8.7.0.570)

Anti-virus License Type: licensed

Scan engine version (32-bit): 5400.1158

DAT version: 6424.0000

Installed Modules: 

Anti-spyware 

License Type: licensed

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/08/11 12:58:42 EDT PM
11 Replies

Re: Trying to download an application

Moved from Community/Home to VirusScan Enterprise for better attention.

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

What's the detection name you're seeing?

Kind regards,

Sam

madprof
Level 7
Message 4 of 12

Just a little background: I'm running the Web Application Manager for a Q-See camera system. I have had it working for months and then today it wanted to download an ActivieX application. When I try I get a warning that it is not verified. When I say to go ahead anyway, IE closes and McAfee produces a virus scan alert detected as Downloader.a!by which supposedly is a Trojan.

anandd
Level 9
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

Can you please submit the file which is getting detected as Downloader.a!by.  We will forward the sample to our Research team and get it reviewed.

You can submit the file for analysis to virus_research@avertlabs.com  and provide the analysis id you receive.

Regards,

Anand

madprof
Level 7
Message 6 of 12

I think I'll need some direction as to how to do that. I didn't think it was actually being downloaded.

anandd
Level 9
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

Since VSE is not allowing the file to be downloaded, the first thing you can do is to disable the On-Access Scan temporarily till the file is downloaded.

You can do this by Right click on the VSE icon -> Disable On-Access Scan.

Once the file is downloaded on your system, the next step, is for you to send us the file/sample in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).  You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at http://www.mcafee.com/us/mcafee-labs/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

Also if possible please let us know the exact link from where you are trying to download the ActiveX application.

Regards,

Anand

madprof
Level 7
Message 8 of 12

Ummm... Is it safe to download an application that might be a virus? If yes, how so. I don't think I have access to the link for the download.

nownitin
Level 12
Message 9 of 12

when this file is detected, you can check if any file is added to the Quarantine folder.

zip that file with password 'infected' and submit to    virus_research@avertlabs.com

Regards,

Nitin

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Hi,

We can try and reproduce the issue if you can give us step by step instructions and details of the q-see software.

Thanks,

Sam

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community