cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble can't run scans or update security

Alright I have windows xp and am having trouble with my mcafee security I was on a certain webpage when it froze natuarly I quickly lift only to find a little pop up mcaffe warning saying files were about to be changed around naturally I said no then another one came up saying trojain blocked. I decided to do a system restore just in case. When it was finished I went to go update my security only to find that it would do a update and say still unprotected as it would keep updating over and over again with no resolutions. I tried going to run a scan on it own but it says can't do so as well as an error code "2147467259" came up I tried doing another system restore back to another day and did all the same things nothing worked. I then thought if I undid the system restore and go back to when everything was up to date I might be able to run a scan again it didn't work. I was told by another person that if I disable system restore I would be able to run updates and perform a scan to get rid of the viruses it didn't work. I'm on my last limb and about to perform a hard drive wipe unless someone can tell me what to do, if any help can be given I would greatly appreciate it.
5 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Trouble can't run scans or update security

This is XP SP3 I hope, and fully updated?

Also what McAfee products are you using? Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center and then click "About" at the lower right hand corner. Post the version number from each module.

Download, update and scan using the free versions of both of these tools and let them clean everything they find:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Here what you asked for and thanks for the help.

Security center
Version: 8.1
Build: 8.1.175
AffId: 108
Language: en-us
Last update: 9/12/2008

Virus scan
Version: 12.1
Build: 12.1.110
language: en-us
Last update: 4/4/2009
Dat version: 5574.0000
Dat Creation Date: 4/4/2009
Engine Version: 5301.4018

Personal Firewall
Version: 9.1
Build: 9.1.108
AffId: 108
Last update: 7/7/2008

Privacy Service
Version: 10.1
Build: 10.1.141
AffId:108
Languge: en-us
Last update: 8/5/2008

Data Backup
Version: 1.2
Build: 1.2.103
Last update: 3/23/2008
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks - and Windows? Is it XP SP3? Did you try running those two applications?
Highlighted

Thanks for your help I mangaed to get everything working again and I didn't have to delete my hard drive, so thanks alot couldn't have done it without you.
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Glad to have been of help.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community