cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torwin111
Level 8

Trojan detected...Artemis!B0B0DF831D53 (Trojan)

Jump to solution

I have a message on screen that reads as follows:

"Trojan Detected

McAfee has detected an infected item in a shared folder on your network.  To remove the threat, right-click the folder, change its properties to allow full access, and then click Scan.

Detected: Artemis!B0B0DF831D53 (Trojan)

Quarantined from:   "

But that is all it says.  The space after "...Quarantined from: " is blank, so I have no idea whereabouts on the local network the infected folder is.  So what do I do?

Has anyone else had this issue?

attachImage.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinod_r2
Level 11

Re: Trojan detected...Artemis!B0B0DF831D53 (Trojan)

Jump to solution

All --- if McAfee detects a threat please consider that as a threat unless its confirmed to be safe... if you know the application that is being picked up only then the question of a possible incorrect detection kicks in.. just because a detection is Artemis does not necessarily mean its bad. you could co-relate the Artemis detection  to being the immune response you see our body doing to new or strange diseases as an effort to combat them. (antibodies at work..)..

Now best course of approach would be to take a look at the Interface and see if points to a folder or location and that will help indicate what file has been detected

if there are no conclusive location (either due to long winding path or its missing as in this case) i would recommend taking a look in Quarantine section or as peter called out to see if its waiting for user to take action..

Finally (my favorite and the easiest way) if to take a log at the On Access logs ( a simple text file)--  from Start>run > c:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Logs\OAS.LOG and attach that file as a response to the thread for helper to take a look

0 Kudos
14 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Trojan detected... but then what?

Jump to solution

Since this detection seems to be a 'False Artemis'BOBODF831D53,I suggest to follow these Guidelines/Instructions first :.

As for manually removing the Quarantined Item, you can open your McAfee User Interface/Navigation/Quarantined and Trusted Items/Quarantined Items/Quarantined Potentially Programs/expand/select/Delete/Restart.

I hope this helps,

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
torwin111
Level 8

Re: Trojan detected... False Artemis! BOBODF831D53

Jump to solution

Ok, thank you for that.  Couple of observations:

In my McAfee Security Centre / Quarantined Items there is no entry with this code number B0B0DF831D53 .

The most recent entry in Q.I. is Updater.exe with a "date detected" of 26/01/2014 and a different code number.  But no path.  A search of my C: drive finds two files named updater.exe, one under Windows \ Installer and the other under Skype.

Quarantined Potentially Unwanted  items are a couple of identified Adware files, also a year old (and now deleted).

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome.  Then I recommend selecting/and deleting any remaining detections and rebooting. I would then run Malwarebytes (Free) followed up by running AdwCleaner. Both of these Superb tools can be obtained from the following link:

You may also follow this Reputable Removal Guide:Remove ApplicationUpdater.exe by Spigot (Removal Guide)

To keep Malwarebytes (Free) follow the directions before downloading. Please kindly post back if you need further assistance.

All the Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Trojan detected...

Jump to solution

I appropriately moved this to Consumer Home User Assistance, since you stated there was no Artemis!

By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You may find these two articles most informative ;

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I also changed your Header by adding the False Artemis! Detection.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Artemis Discussions.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I was the one who moved it to Artemis in the first place.  Moved it back. Although it doesn't really matter unless someone from the labs just happened to be patrolling this section.

The original detection was Artemis but it wont be designated that in the Quarantine folder, it should be designated by whatever type of malware it was/is.

It should also have given a clue as to where it was found in your machine but you say it didn't.

0 Kudos