cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moontinker
Level 7

Trojan Woe

I am "up" 3 Trojans, and "missing" 3 dll files (as notified by Windows XP). The Trojans seem to have taken the dll files as hostages when they were quarantined. I am not very computer savvy,,just a mere tinker-er, but I have listed information that seems to be necessary.

McAfee SecurityCenter, subscription current, version not listed under properties. Updates installed 3/18/11

I finally found this list last night:

03/02/11-Detection name: TROJAN Artemis 87D193951EE6 IS QUARANTINED with dll file: WMVZINET .DLL

03/09/11-Detection name: TROJAN Hiloti.gen.r IS QUARANTINED with dll file: ugezurowovoxad .dll

03/10/11-Detection name: TROJAN Hiloti.gen.r IS QUARANTINED with dll file: a0083084 .dll

Detected by McAfee Secuity center.Option to send to McAfee is available, BUT, if I send each and/or all to McAfee for removal, will it ALSO remove the NEEDED dll files?

I have not turned computer off, letting it go into sleep mode.Rebooting and/or shutting computer down repeats missing dll messages on restart, or added yet another Trojan.

I will gladly send these TROJANs off to McAfee for removal once I am certain the dll files will NOT be removed as well. If that is not possible, I need to know where to find 'replacement' dlls and HOW to reinstall. I am eager to restore things to 'normal' and run a full scan. Thank you in advance...profusely

0 Kudos
10 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Trojan Woe

This document from McAfee should help you with your issue. Please make sure to follow the suggestions in the document as far as submitting information to McAfee concerning the trojans.

0 Kudos
moontinker
Level 7

I read the document that you recommended, installed stinger and ran a scan of everything (over 6 hours). Stinger found 2 Trojans with (different names) and deleted them. There are no Trojans listed under 'Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs'. The first part of the problem has been resolved, and I appreciate your helpful advice. Thank you.

After shut down and restart, however, I am still getting pop-up notice of missing dll file3-19-2011 MIA dll.jpg

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

I am not sure those are ligit dll files.They look randomly named.I am sure after you follow instructions from Tom.Soon you will be pointed in the proper direction.I did a search for the 3 dll`s and did`nt find anything.There was 1 hit on the last 1.But it seems to be posted in a hijack this log.

Message was edited by: newjack on 3/19/11 8:48:31 PM EDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you delete the detections whatever the infection is attached to will be deleted.

You could reinstate them after disabling VirusScan and re-submit them for manual analysis as per: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

0 Kudos
moontinker
Level 7

Thank you for your input, however, it seems to be a matter of locking the door after the Trojan -and perhaps his hostage- are already out. I am nonetheless, better prepared for any future invasion(s).

I am apparently in need of reinstating a dll file, and will read your suggestion

0 Kudos
moontinker
Level 7

3-19-2011 MIA dll.jpgI had not even considered that the missing dll files might be bogus, and that was a helpful insight as well. The image above is still being displayed on startup, however.

0 Kudos
moontinker
Level 7

Anyone?

If this is indeed a ligit dll file, does anyone know where I might find it to download and reinstate it? 3-19-2011 MIA dll.jpgThanks in advance

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I've moved this to Artemis discussions so that someone from that area can look up the detection in post #1 for WMVZINET .DLL to see if they can shed some light on this.

0 Kudos
moontinker
Level 7

Many thank yous Obi Won master. I see the wisdom you possess...

0 Kudos