Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Trojan SMP LX problems

Recently i got the Trojan SMP LX virus/spyware on my computer. I downloaded malwarebytes off and it was able to find 37 infected files, whereas my McAfee scan resulted in just three. After deleting the infected files, my computer will not login. Accoring to the following thread: i could have possibly damaged or deleted the USERINIT.exe or the registry entry has been modified.

I downloaded and burned the BOOTCD on another computer, but the infected computer is a notebook and doesnt have a CD drive. Is my only solution to buy an external CD drive and try the BOOTCD that way?

Again, i am unable to start windows in safe mode and when i try to login my account it says "logging again" then "logging off, saving user information." I have read and re-read the posts on the thread about this problem and im stuck.

Please, please help. I'd really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: Trojan SMP LX problems

I see no-one came to your aid so I will try but I'm no expert in restoring machines to their former glory.

What operating system & service pack is this?

You will most likely have to do a repair installation of the operating system using the system CD/DVD installation disk.  This repairs the system without erasing files and folders.  You WILL have to install ALL updates again however.  That is very important.

If XP then check this help site: or this one:

If Vista:

If Windows 7:

Right after completion install the latest Java and Adobe Flash, Shockwave and Reader if not already installed of course, and your McAfee protection.

If you need to install Service Packs see this guide for help with XP:  (SP3 contains all updates from day 1)

For Vista: SP1: SP2:

There will still be many updates to go after installing any service packs - keep updating until no more are offered.   Also it is wise to use the "Microsoft Updates" option rather than old "Windows Update" as that draws in updates for everything just about.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/01/10 2:46:19 EST PM
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Trojan SMP LX problems

the infected computer is a notebook. i cannot boot it up using any cd unless i buy a cd/dvd drive. is that what you suggest i should do? also, the computer never even came with any CD's. im running XP but there was no CD that came with ti.

0 Kudos