Did you mean: 
Highlighted
willms
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

System Restore and SDAT

Hi

2 issues which may be related, has anybody had similar issues?

i have a Dell with win XP, 1gb RAM, latest security suite based in UK.
When i disable my system restore to (scan my computer) after my system has rebooted the system restore has switched itself back on again? is this normal or is there a virus preventing me from disabling?

SDAT- after speaking to the McAfee tech support (years ago) they advised to download the latest SDAT, disable the restore and reboot in DOS then preform the scan. Is this still effective?

If i am being prevented from disabling then i can't remove any virus that may be hiding there??

Thanks
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
5 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

RE: System Restore and SDAT

You shouldn't have to disable System Restore to scan, unless your purpose is to get rid of an infection trapped inside your "System Volume" folders.

A scan should not disable that ability however. Perhaps you should double check by using the free version of the following tools. Update them before running and let them clean anything they find. Reboot if asked.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

SDAT's are only meant for the Enterprise (Corporate) software.

I trust your XP is SP3?
willms
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Ex-Brit

I will try these things. yes i have disabled to scan as that is what the instructions say when i follow the virus link to McAfee, It then advises to use the latest Engine? (which one) and DAT - So should i be using DAT not SDAT?

the XP i have came with the computer in 2004, i don't think it has been upgraded to SP3? sounds like i should do this?

Many thanks
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

To get the latest engine or DAT merely right-click the taskbar icon and select updates. The chances are you are already up to date.

Yes you should get SP3 a.s.a.p. as XP is the unsafest operating system that is currently supported, and indeed you need SP3 in order to continue receiving security updates from Microsoft.

There is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807
willms
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Many thanks
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

You're welcome.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community