cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bellward
Level 7

Strange things happening on shutdown..yet main scan brings up no issues...

Jump to solution

Hi all.

This may not be a McAfee issue but we're exploring as much as we can, that falls within our, very limited, knowhow....

The last few days our Dell laptop (aging Inspiron 1545, Windows 7,  IE11) has started behaving very oddly on shut down.

It flashes up several, "un-visited", webpages, before finally  shutting down..and these pages seem to vary each time.

Their content(as far as we can tell)doesn't appear to be "dodgy" in nature(they can include such things as  Google Search  or Adobe Flash download pages etc).

We have run the full McAfee scan several times over and it brings up no issues.

W have also run any available Dell online diagnostics that I can find(and understand!)and that too,shows that everything is fine...

I did find and run, the McAfee GetSusp (spelling?) scan...and that highlighted a "suspect" file/program(Trojan?)....but I had no idea how to get rid of it?!

(..I have however, since misplaced the "suspect" files details..)

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

(please keep it VERY simple, as we're a bit clueless when it comes to techy stuff)

Thanks

(Our apologies if we have posted in the incorrect section)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Strange things happening on shutdown..yet main scan brings up no issues...

Jump to solution

It seems you may have inadvertently picked up some Adware/Malware. I suggest running the McAfee Getsusp tool again, please make sure you enter your Email Address under 'Preferences' before scanning. I would then follow up by running AdwCleaner followed by Malwarebytes (Free)

To keep Malwarebytes (Free) do not enable/activate the Paid trial version.

These Superb (Free) tools and more can be obtained here:

I would also look for Security Scan Plus in your program list, if there remove through the normal procedure.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
5 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

It seems you may have inadvertently picked up some Adware/Malware. I suggest running the McAfee Getsusp tool again, please make sure you enter your Email Address under 'Preferences' before scanning. I would then follow up by running AdwCleaner followed by Malwarebytes (Free)

To keep Malwarebytes (Free) do not enable/activate the Paid trial version.

These Superb (Free) tools and more can be obtained here:

I would also look for Security Scan Plus in your program list, if there remove through the normal procedure.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Moved from Consumer to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions.

Also, by adding your email address in Getsusp, it sends the Unknown/Suspicious program to the McAfee Global Threat Intelligence base.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
bellward
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi catdaddy...

Thank you very much for your help...

We re-ran the Getsusp (this time, adding our email address ) and  ran the Malwarebytes scan..

It found several issues (which it "quarantined") and so far, appears to have sorted it!....

(..If only we had signed up and sort advice earlier, we could've saved ourselves a lot of messing about..)

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You are perfectly welcome   Please know that you can keep the Malwarebytes (Free) on your system,as a compliment to your McAfee Anti-Virus. Simply update before each scan. You can also go to Quarantine and delete/remove those items, followed by a 'Restart'

All the very Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You may also find these 2 articles most informative, as to how it came to be you received the (PUPS)

Potentially Unwanted Programs.

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos