cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halton
Level 9

Strange email

I recently an email from a very close friend and it said to click to click on the link I unfortunately did because it mentioned McAffee but the link didn't go anywhere. Is the link is legit or am I in trouble?

The  link is http://www.canadiansecuritymag.com/news/data-security/mcafee-releases-12-scams-of-the-holidays-list.

Jerry

0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Strange email

Well the sender may have inadvertently put the wrong URL as the page is genuine enough, but it could also have been sent from anyone with that email address in their address list by malware.  I see strange emails occasionally from certain friends whi I immediately phone and suggest they check for malware.

As a precaution run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free from the last link below.

To keep MBAM actually free of charge do NOT accept the free trial or activate the product, if asked.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

halton
Level 9

Thank you and Catdaddy for your quick responses and your patience.

Jerry

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

You are quite Welcome

Glad all is okay

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

In addition to Ex_Brit,s excellent advice. If you are concerned that your Email has been compromised. Here is a Reliable/Reputable Site to test : PwnedList.com - Have Your Accounts Been Compromised?

I periodically personally run my Email accounts through it myself.

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
SafeBoot
Level 21

Here's the link to the 12 scams of Christmas/Holidays microsite - 12 Scams of the Holidays | Season of Sharing Sweepstakes

0 Kudos