cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xebsan
Level 7

Smart Internet Protection 2011 - please help

Jump to solution

My laptop has just been infected with what looks like malware called 'Smart Internet Protection 2011'. It now seems to have disabled my McAfee tool also - BT NetProtect Plus, although i did a full scan using this tool as soon as I spotted the problem and it did not find any viruses.

I have downloaded Stinger which is currently running, but as 'Smart Internet Protection 2011' doesn't come up when I search on the McAfee site, I can't see that it will pick it up.

Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sameer172006
Level 12

Re: Smart Internet Protection 2011 - please help

Jump to solution

Xesban,

I am sorry for being too technical.

Please click on the following link and on the right hand side, you will see a green colored icon which will have " Download the latest version" written next to it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Please clcik on it and SAVE the file on your desktop. Once the download is complete, please install this software. It is called Malwarebyte's Antimalware. This is a free utility and is a very useful tool.

If you are unable to download and install Malwarebytes when you log on to Windows normally, please press F8 and select the option " SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING" . That will boot up your computer into safe mode and will also give you internet connectivity. Please install and update Malwarebytes and then please run a full scan.

For now, let us not get into msconfig. Lets just wait for Malwarebytes to clean up your computer.

Thank you

Sameer

0 Kudos
20 Replies
mraven
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just had the same thing happen.  Did stinger work?

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can both of you please try this:

Go into Safe mode with networking,

Download Malwarebytes FREE from www.malwarebytes.org.

And update it and run a quick scan.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/01/11 9:14:11 EST AM
0 Kudos
sameer172006
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hello friends,

I would probably, log on to Safe mode.

2} Disable System Restore

3} Make sure that I DISABLE the fake AV from the startup by using the Msconfig

4} Run a scan (I can certainly do the waiting for a full scan than just contend with a Quick Scan) and then wait for my favourite software to beat the fake AV black and blue and get me back on track

Please let me know if any of you guys had any luck..  Cheers !

Sameer

on 1/30/11 9:24:26 PM IST
0 Kudos
Xebsan
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have tried starting the laptop in Safe mode, but McAfee is still disabled when I do. I downloaded Stinger again and ran a scan - it found nothing.

How do I use the Msconfig? Are you saying doing this should disable the virus and let me run a scan?

Pls keep answers basic - I'm not very computer literate (sure you've spotted that already!).

Didn't like the look of the links that Malware.org was pointing me too. Don't know what to trust now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi Xebsan,

Did you read my reply?

0 Kudos
Xebsan
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Conor

I did but when I went to that link it seemed to go to a site that then pointed to other links, which I really wasn't sure about as am pretty paranoid now. I'll take another look.

Thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Xebsan wrote:

Hi Conor

I did but when I went to that link it seemed to go to a site that then pointed to other links, which I really wasn't sure about as am pretty paranoid now. I'll take another look.

Thanks

Try going to that website in 'Safe Mode with Networking' reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  In the ensuing menu it is usually the second choice down.

Malwarebytes (get the free version) can be downloaded, updated and run all in that mode - which gives you the internet and hopefully when the infection isn't running.

0 Kudos
sameer172006
Level 12

Jump to solution

Xebsan,

I am glad that I was helpful. You may keep it in quarantine or delete it forever but yes, the malware has been booted out already cheers

Mraven :- We all know internet is too dangerous if we are not being cautious enough. However, all we folks here at the community are here to help each other and help ourselves. You can rest assured about the fact that none of us would ever pass on any links which would harm you.

Also, about McAfee missing out a detection, as Exbrit pointed out no AV in this world can guarantee a 100% protection. Moreover, the actual fact is that McAfee is a gem of a software but as you know the bad guys are way too smart and hence big players in the market like McAfee, Symantec, Trend etc are targeted and new variants of malware come up every minute to trick these biggies. Nonetheless, the folks at McAfee are also up to the challenge but we have to understand... They can only do so much and that is where niche players like Malwarebytes are a godsend.

Exbrit :- I guess, Xebsan had a problem with Conor's link because Malwarebytes redirects to Majorgeeks and there are too many links out there and a first timer will find it hard to figure what to click on and thats why I passed on the filehippo link..

Well, in the end, all that ends well is well.. Isnt it

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

All the best.

0 Kudos