Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mraven
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 21

Re: Smart Internet Protection 2011 - please help

Jump to solution

I did it and it worked - thanks so much to everyone.  I have another question.  When I restarted my computer, I now have a blocked start-up program what wants to be installed "System Configuration Utility".  Is this legit?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Jump to solution

Msconfig needs admin privileges to run.  If you make changes in msconfig,
the next time the system is restarted, msconfig will try to run to tell you
changes have been made, but since it needs admin privileges it get's blocked
until you give permission for it to run.  Clicking the icon in the
notification area of the taskbar and telling it to run brings up the
msconfig dialog screen that tells you it's in diagnostic mode.  Check the
box to not have it alert again, and it won't until the next time you make
changes in msconfig and reboot.

Jump to solution

Thanks to all for the pointers to get rid of this shitty bit of software, I was going do lallay trying to find it on my friend's system until I found this forum.

very many grateful thanks

Chas

Jump to solution

clayshooter53 wrote:

Thanks to all for the pointers to get rid of this ****** bit of software, I was going do lallay trying to find it on my friend's system until I found this forum.

very many grateful thanks

Chas

We all are happy to help .. All the best

Sameer

Jump to solution

mraven,

System config utility is nothing but the msconfig. Yes, it is legit !

Sameer

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Xesban,

I am sorry for being too technical.

Please click on the following link and on the right hand side, you will see a green colored icon which will have " Download the latest version" written next to it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Please clcik on it and SAVE the file on your desktop. Once the download is complete, please install this software. It is called Malwarebyte's Antimalware. This is a free utility and is a very useful tool.

If you are unable to download and install Malwarebytes when you log on to Windows normally, please press F8 and select the option " SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING" . That will boot up your computer into safe mode and will also give you internet connectivity. Please install and update Malwarebytes and then please run a full scan.

For now, let us not get into msconfig. Lets just wait for Malwarebytes to clean up your computer.

Thank you

Sameer

View solution in original post

mraven
Level 7
Message 17 of 21

Jump to solution

I haven't tried to fix the problem yet because I too am afraid of downloading ANYTHING from the web.  I am not sure what is reliable.  Is it better to run in safe mode with networking?  I have my infected computer off and using a laptop right now.  Can anything bad happen if the computer is shut down?  As you can tell, I too am not very computer literate.

mraven
Level 7
Message 18 of 21

Jump to solution

Oh yeah,

One more question.  What is the point of having McAfee if it can't find it and isn't fixing the problem?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Jump to solution

mraven wrote:

Oh yeah,

One more question.  What is the point of having McAfee if it can't find it and isn't fixing the problem?

You should always keep at least 1 anti-spyware application handy and updated just in case because none of the antivirus applications, no matter what brand, are 100% guaranteed to catch everything.

That's why I put up this document in the Security Awareness section of these forums:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Xebsan
Level 7
Message 20 of 21

Jump to solution

Sameer - I used your link, uploaded Malwarebytes, ran a scan and it located the virus. Thank you so much for your help! You too Conor - I marked your comments as helpful too.

The files are now in quarantine. Can I just delete them?

Many thanks again - really appreciate the advice that everybody has posted on here. Excellent work all.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community