cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be concerned OOBE Service2 is disabled?

Jump to solution

Hi.  I'm using a McAfee LiveSafe Internet Security which is a free trial that came loaded with my new Windows 8.1 PC.

Strolling through services.msc, I noticed that "McAfee OOBE Service2" is disabled.  I'm not able to start the service nor change the startup type.  Also my scheduled scan has been stuck at 99% "Scanning:  Rootkit" for the last 9 hrs.

I read the 99% hang workaround in another thread but first I needed to know if OOBE Service2 is supposed to be disabled before I proceed.  I'm really concerned by this but I'm not really sure. Any advice?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 6

Re: Should I be concerned OOBE Service2 is disabled?

Jump to solution

I found this explanation from a McAfee staff member:

OOBE stands for "Out of box experience". This is used by OEM's such as Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, etc. For our customers who get our products through OEM's we need to have this service. The reason is that OEM's create a single image with McAfee, and then clone it to the computers as they are built. Normally when you install McAfee you need to create an account first. But in this scenario, that would be bad because all the clones would appear from one account. So we use the OOBE service so the software can be provisioned, and once the customer starts the system for the first time (OOBE), they can create an account.

So no, don't worry about it.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Don't worry about that.  I believe that's the intro that runs once when the software is first activated.

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

I found this explanation from a McAfee staff member:

OOBE stands for "Out of box experience". This is used by OEM's such as Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, etc. For our customers who get our products through OEM's we need to have this service. The reason is that OEM's create a single image with McAfee, and then clone it to the computers as they are built. Normally when you install McAfee you need to create an account first. But in this scenario, that would be bad because all the clones would appear from one account. So we use the OOBE service so the software can be provisioned, and once the customer starts the system for the first time (OOBE), they can create an account.

So no, don't worry about it.

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for explaining this... Now I can do the 99% workaround. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

You're welcome.  ;-)

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

BTW if the fix fails to help I suggest contacting Technical Support, it's free of charge and linked below:

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools