cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margc
Level 7

Security Essentials Virus

Despite having fully paid McAfee running I have the virus "Internet Security Essentials" on my computer and it appears to be very difficult to get rid of.  Has anyone got a solution that does not require a university IT degree to understand, and can anyone explain why this gets through the McAfee (so called) protection?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ConorD62
Level 12

Re: Security Essentials Virus

Hi Margc,

What happens when you enter Normal mode? Does it pop up every time and stop you from accessing the internet?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: ConorD62 on 02/03/11 17:40:26 CST
0 Kudos
margc
Level 7

Thanks for responding.

it has not stopped any functions so far, it brings up a list of false security messages and infections and asks if "total removal" required.  the only option is to tkae this tab and then it asks which version of the software I want to purchase.  the window can be then closed but it comes back a few seconds later.

0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hi,

By tab do you mean browser?

If so can you PM me the URL?

Also, please do the following;

Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup,

And reply back with anything you don't recognise.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
margc
Level 7

Hi and thanks again,

The detail of the virus is well described in the following web site: http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue/internet-security-essentials/ I am a basic user so not really savy.  I thought that McAfee would protect me from these things.

Cheers

Marg

Message was edited by: vinod_r2 on 4/3/11 2:16:40 AM IST

link reffered here has poor rating on McAfee Siteadvisor on 4/3/11 2:20:04 AM IST
0 Kudos
ConorD62
Level 12

Hi,

Unfortunately, these fake Anti Viruses usually pass through most Anti Viruses engines,

Can you please do the Msconfig in my last reply,

Otherwise we cannot rid this off your computer.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
margc
Level 7

ok, will do this and report back - just need to go home as am using work computer to talk to you just now

0 Kudos
margc
Level 7

Hi,

there is a startup item called Internet Security Essentials listed on the page.  the manufacturer is "unknown"

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Moved this discussion to Security Awareness - Home User Assistance, since it's about a fake AV program. There will be other threads about this here : just enter the name into the Search box and sort the results by date. You may well find the solution to getting rid of it in one of the older posts.

0 Kudos
sephstorm
Level 7

Can you tell me, is this the program you are talking about?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-essentials-2010

This appears to be a rouge security program called Security Essentials. There is also a program called Webroot Internet Security Essentials. Based on the fact that the program is showing up with an unknown manufactuer, i'm guessing at this point the program is not legit.

0 Kudos